Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Amazing B/W slideshow of Saulieu CZ fest.

Those pictures made a strange impression on me. They make the festival look so gloomy! Like an event during the Great Depression.
(But I don't know anything about the art of photography).

Christian

Black and white make a photograph look more "arty", because you tend to associate them with the great photographers of the 20th century.
I agree that on an event like this lively colours would have been a better choice. More lively and less pretentious. But still nice pics of course!

Christian is right. These pics are nice, very expressive, but sad.

Marc.

I think these were actually shot in color ( digitally ) but posted in Black and White.

The photographer I think took an approach that falls somewhere between photojournalism ( this quality is very common in the New York Times supplements.. on CD spreads etc. ) and portraiture. . . framing and focussing and freezing individuals or couples in the crowd.. the experience of the individual rather than the usual random amature shots which probably capture the moment we lived better.

All in all, I'd say they work exceptionally well as portraits..which perhaps miss the spirit.. but am sure reveal an intimacy and beauty of their own.. sad as they may appear.

These are static and calculated... maybe like wedding photos.. but are very much the work of a pro looking for nuance.. rather than the obvious.

G.

Darn, Glen....Artistically put!! Adds to the "intimate" moment! I need to take another look...I did not get a sense of movement, which is what all the fuss is about...n'est pas?

Not contenting oneself with the obvious... yes. Very interesting to take a closer look at these photos and try and discover what they may reveal. They are so surprising and disturbing at first glance. Especially when you were there and did not see that.

What strikes me now, for example, is the attention given to the concentration and the efforts of the musicians at times. We (the audience) are all in the enjoyment of the music and never pay attention to that (which is their goal, of course, to let us forget that. It must look easy).

Christian

I like the photographs very much.
Very expressive as Glenn wrote.
Look at the other photos on his website, realy great.
And it's always sad that the festival is over.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!