Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lyric versions of Eunice Two step

Every Time I hear a version of Eunice Two Step,the lyrics seem to be Different.Whats the deal,does anyone know the most popular version, are have the Lyrics

Re: Lyric versions of Eunice Two step

This was over on my lyrics site. How popular or prevalent, I don't know.

Richard Guidry offers the following lyrics from the liner notes to Ray Abshire's Arrête pas la Musique:

Eh, yé yaïe! Jolie fille, tu connais chère bébé,

Si ton nègre te donne le doigt, tu fais trop la canaille.

Tu connais, chère bébé, quoi faire donc t'es comme ça?

Moi, j'suis pris dans autant de chagrin que moi, j'suis toujours dedans.

Quand ton sucre, il est là, toi tu fais ta vieille canaille.

Quand ton sucre, il est pas là, braillez, braillez pour moi.

Tu connais je peux pas dormir, je peux pas manger, je peux pas m'assire.

C'est par rapport de les 'tites filles, 'tites filles de grand Gueydan.

There are many different versions, which one do you like. Most popular will depend on who answers. Amede Ardoin's is the original, but Maurice Berzas' version seems to be best known.

Probably my favorite song, and the 1st two step I learned on my own.

Thanks Dwight,Haven't seen those lyrics either.Bryan I like Robert Bertrand's version musically,but I'm trying to pic the easiest lyrics for me to sing.Any Ideas
I've been trying to figure out how Robert Bertrand plays the A part so fast,and work up a good B part accordion.Does anyone know the B part that Bertrand plays.Does anyone have Maurice Berzas lyrics. Thanks

Version by Maurice Barzas
(Album Louisiana Cajun Special n°1. Ace Records)

Hey yea yaille? chaque fois j’te vois,
C’est chère icite et chère là-bas
Si ton nèg' te tourne le dos,
Tu becques trop la canaille. (1)
Moi j’voudrais que tu me r’dis
Pour toi-même voir quo faire que toi
Tu m’as mis dans tas d’chagrins
Que moi j’suis toujours dedans.

Hey yea yaille, hey cher vieux nèg’
T’es si canaille, ça me r’semble
T’as pas que’que chose que tu peux m’dire
Sans m’faire des vieilles misères.
Moi j’peux plus dormir le soir
Avec tous ces jonglements
Mon chagrin que j’ai pour toi
Bébé oublie pas ça.

(1)« Tu beg’ trop la banane » ( ?) on the Yellow Book

Marc.

Good Marc, I was stumped on that 5th line. On the 3rd line, which is commonly used just like you have it in many versions, here I hear "Si ton neg' tu donne le doigt". Didn't even think to look in the Yellow book.

Pat, it's not Robert playing, and I'm not sure who is, maybe Neal knows. I think Robert was a drummer, and one of my favorite singers. I had never noticed before, but the accordion player in Robert's version adds a part to his turn that is different than I've heard before. Both the A and B parts vary as widely s the lyrics.

Have you heard Amede's version? It was my biggest influence.

On the Robert Bertrand recording, he plays fiddle. The accordion player is John Oliver, a very underrated player.

Don't forget Iry LeJeune's version, which he titled Jolie Catin! I think I like that one the best, though it must not be the easiest to play! The lyrics are in the Ron Yule book and in the booklet of the ACE cd on Iry LeJeune, CDCHD428. 3 verses.

In his version of Eunice Two Step with Alphee Bergeron, Shirley Bergeron enunciates the lyrics clearly. Shirley was good for that.

Thanks Marc for the Lyrics.Bryan,I been listening to a lot of Amede and Iry LeJune Lately,I like both their versions.I think Iry's Jolie Catin would be the easiest lyrics for me to sing,although i like Bertrand 's singing.So Bertrand was a fiddler.Thanks for the info Neal
I love the accordion and the fiddle in Cajun music,but you know what turned me on to Cajun when I was a mere lad,was the singing with the music.We got to sing it,even if we suck
P.S.Ok, there might be some people we don't want singing

Thankyou for the kind recognition given to John Oliver. I will pass the recognition on to his family. He was my grandmothers brother and I have lots of good memories going spend the weekend with him in Lake Charles and going to his dances.
Peace

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!