Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Reed transfusion / Grand Bosco video

Glad to see Hohner getting the recognition they deserve. Lots of great music has been played on Hohners and, historically, Cajun made boxes have been fitted with Hohner reeds; not only by Doucet but Moreau and Shine Mouton.

I contend tone and playability has as much to do with fitting,gapping and tuning the reeds as it does with reed quality.

Hohner and Monarch... I printed the lead post on this thread for posterity.

As to the condition of the reeds and wax, why not call Elton Doucet and ask him about this. He is a very approachable guy... and considering he supplies his self made bass boxes, fingerboards and reed blocks as well as buttons,bellows and reeds to other Cajun accordeon makers , many have a great deal of respect for him. Add to that his accordeons are played by satisfied players in Ireland and England.
I'd be curious as to his reply.

Excellent playing !

Call him
Le Piquant

They are good reeds because of their sound, but their response isn't as good as I'd like. This is a good accordion though, with those reeds. I love it.

You can't beat love. And like I always say an accordion is like a women, they are all fun to hold, they just hold differently.
Le Piquant

They are much the same with the lights out.

An accordion is like a woman- Very hard to get used to. Although, I don't think they play or handle quite as nicely, after you learn them. Response is different too. Hmmm, maybe they are not at all like a woman.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!