Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Long gone players using 'D' boxes

Easily 80% 0f the one row boxes in Quebec ( not Canada) are in the key of D, followed by C, followed by A , and rarely G.

. . . have to agree that D is not louder .. but higher pitched and " shriller ".

Instrumentals.. fast one.. sound faster and cleaner in D.. Conjunto players will gladly rip a fast Polka in D on a ADG box to show off their virtuoso skills..

The D is like high gear.. or Soprano singing.. cuts through through the backround noise. Little to do with loud .. other than a perceived piercing tone.

Most tuners follow this logic as well.. faster the vibe, sharper to the sound, and D is faster and higher and sharper..

G.

Male singing range has a lot to do with it.

Hitting a high A note is literally impossible for the vast majority of male singers. Even a high G is rarely possible.

Most male voices are Baritone, and a high F is about as far as you can go without it sounding bad.

I believe that only about 10% of men can sing in the tenor range.

I seem to be in the 10% range most of the time.
Le Piquant

Lucky you! Really. It seems to me that a tenor really grabs people's attention to a much greater extent that a baritone or bass.

Oh well, I just wasn't born a tenor, so I just do the best I can as a boring old baritone.

Well 3 years ago I didn't know I could sing. I couldn't carry a note or sing on key, didn't even know what it meant to do so. I started taking lessons and found that you can teach old dogs new tricks, you may not want to see it performing them too often but you can you teach them.
Le Piquant

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!