Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Final pistachio

Bryan Lafleur
This LBR recording is my favorite just for the way Andre plays the accordion part. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite accordionists, past or present.

Something I particularly like on this recording is that you can hear the left side of the accordion "snoring". Just like on the old recordings.

Christian

hey kirk....shoot me your email address.

roger

Check out Danny Collet's version of this tune (from 1993) -- IMHO, it's the best recording ever of this 'un. Here. Here... here... right here...

http://www.amazon.com/La-Pistache-a-Tante-Nana/dp/B001073D24

R!CK

Re: pistache a tante nana...english translation?

Hey ya'll,
thanks for the help on this very cool waltz.

Can anyone post the English?

thanks
k

Aunt and Uncle in Cajun are sometimes used for close acquaintances, though usually not in the romantic sense. Lot's of odd references (along with sexual innuendos) in these old songs, I imagine a lot of it was personal inside jokes. Many say the song was supposed to be "le pistache a trois nana", which is a 3 nut peanut, supposedly referencing a quality peanut. A sly word twist referring to poor Aunt Nana.

On my way to Uncle Octave's,
Who plants the beautiful farm,
Of cotton and corn,
And Aunt Nana's peanut.

That's what's so good
Roasted (grilled) in the bottom of the stove,
when the weather is rainy,
Aunt Nana's peanut

She is pretty and so cute,
It's her I love so much,
The dear little doll,
Well, Aunt Nana's peanut

On my way to Uncle Octave's
Who makes the big butcherings
Boudin and some gratons
And Aunt Nana's peanut.

That is why I sing it the way it was recorded before Sidney Brown changed it to tante instead of trois.
Le Piquant

Singing about a "pistache à trois nanas" sounds stranger to me than singing about the "pistache à Tante Nana" and seems to be more like a later attempt to erase the funny double entendre and make the song sound more "correct". Just an impression but let's not forget Nathan's "Banane à Nonc' Adam" and a few others that escape me right now.

Anyone know the oldest recorded or transcribed version of the song?

Christian

you all are so awesome. great information. it really helps to get insight into these songs....just when i think i "get" it, more information.
thanks for all the input.

roger

Christian the reason it's a song about trois nana is because most peanut shells only have two peanuts in them, sometimes you find one with 3 or 4 peanuts in one shell. So the writer of the original song was using that as being rare like finding a four leaf clover. It makes perfect sense to me. To make the song something to talk about Sidney Brown changed it Tante Nana.
Le Piquant

Sometimes its better not to know the translation of a song. The meaning takes away from the beautiful melody of the song. The words to this one prove it.

These lyrics have a real value in cajun French. Not in English.

Marc.

Marc I think they have value in english too if one understands the reasoning behind the lyrics.
Le Piquant

I believe you Jerry. Translation keeps sense, but not poetry of words.

Marc.

Hello
On the Swallow Record label is a selection which has one side Sidney Brown and the other side is Shorty LeBlanc. I have it on cassette but Im not sure if it is available still. You would be pleasantly surprised with the Shorty LeBlanc side. The song you are most interested in is on the Sidney Brown side.
Peace

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!