Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
blue masking tape best for covering up dud reed?

I've taped dud reeds before and wondered if blue masking tape would be the best. I don't want to leave glue on the reeds from the tape.

It's a quick fix for a dud sound that Larry Miller showed me.

I have three boxes that came down with a out of tune reed. Ugh.....

3 gigs coming up the next three weeks and no time to take any out of commission.

thanks
k

Re: blue masking tape best for covering up dud reed?

What i have used is the type of tear-able and writable matte cello-tape (scotch tape?) under a flapper at the obstructive hole. You'll cut out both the in- and out reed at that position then. Use a thin type of tape for this quick fix: far less work and more controllable from the outside. It usually leaves no residue. - Nout

Kirk, before you tape em, make sure there isn't a ghost turd or something caught in the reed.

Yeah Kirk, do what Bryan said, while I sit here and try to imagine what he said.

I like that...ghost turd. In other words, check the reed completely to make sure there isn't any dirt/dust/hair on it. You'd be amazed what a little buildup or a bit of lassies hair will do to the sound of a reed. A really clean dust/lint free cloth will work.

John

Ghost turds often follow phantom pharts

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!