Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Want to buy Acadian C

I presume that you want one actually made by Savoy ?
That being the case, Glenn's would be a consideration.
Just my observation, the older, the better.

Was their a time period when they were contracted out? Seems like I heard something like that on this board . . .

Jeff- you're grossly wrong. Marc's accordions are sweet to this day. I have five and they all kick butt. 4 of which were built from 2002 to 2010.

Pat- I know somehow you'll run into one sometime, hopefully soon. I'm still keepin an eye out for yez

My observation and my opinion are exactly that, my observation and opinion.
I cannot be wrong as it is my observation and my opinion.

If you like em, buy em.

For my money, I'll go with other makes and I won't bother
( again) to give my observations and opions about accordeons that I believe are better made, and a better value.

As a folk-art item, and a piece of history, I would consider an early one, if found to be in good shape, and cheap..

Italian made accordions with "Acadian" stamped on them. I don't think "Acadian" was ever fully contracted out. I think Marc just had some built by the Italians bought them in bulk lots and put his trademark on them and sold them at a lower price. I once got my hands on one of these for a few months. A black "D" gold trim. It had very good playing action and it had a fairly powerful sound. I would say about an 8 on a 1-10 scale in "sweetness" of sound. (It is possible that Savoy re-tuned them after the factory built them). These are rare and you probably won't be sold one by mistake. Marc says they are still available as of last year or so, but his words were, "they got expensive". Don't know how expensive though. I think he'd rather this word didn't get out about those Italian "Acadian" accordions. They are the same reason I bought a Gabenelli Cajun King Black "D" and had the strapping changed and the reeds tuned the right way. It sounds and plays good enough for this "cajun", and a few others that have heard it. As a matter of fact, an elderly Cajun accordion player came to my house and I had him play on 3 accordions. A Martin, Acadian, and that King I mentioned above. He chose to keep playing a few more songs on the re-done Gabenelli King! He said, "Moi jaime sah, La", indicating the black "KING". Go figure.

No, they are not better than the Louisiana "Big" name brands, but they are more practical in price.

I've owned about 7 Acadians. A few old ones were very fine indeed in every way. I did get a 2002 Acadian in D..which was nothing like the earlier ones ( lighter, looked factory assembled, there was Italian and Italian calligraphy inside the box. It was a budget box and sounded very very thin.

I love Acadian boxes.. old or new.. but that one D box had nothing in common with the quality Acadians are famous for.

Probably just an oddball. I would buy a new one from Marc today .. with no reservations.

G.

I thought we lost you Hebert. Did you like my Love Bridge Waltz video?
HOT STUFF

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!