Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OT: Where is/was Love Bridge?

I've had this question on my Web site for years and no one has ever contacted me about it. Is there/was there a place named Love Bridge (Pont d'Amour)? Iry LeJeune used quite a few place names in his song titles. I know he grew up near Pointe Noire then lived near Lacassine, so could Love Bridge have been the name of a real place near there?

Or is it a fabled place like Bayou Pon Pon?

Re: OT: Where is/was Love Bridge?

No place that I know of named love bridge. But there is a place called Love Canal don't know if a bridge goes over it though.
Le Piquant

Good one, Jerry!

In the song, Jambalaya...the guy sang..."good-bye Joe, me gotta go me oh my-eaux, me gotta go pole my pereaux down the Ba-yeaux...maybe he meant....go pole my pee-reaux down- the love canal-eaux!

Love Canal is no place to be when the tide goes out.

Actually Love Bridge was a real place in Louisiana, it is now known as Oaklawn Bridge which connects Bayou Courtableau Hwy 93 to Fuselier St 31 in Arnaudville. It was originally known as Pont L'amour in the 1920's. Trudy Dugas recorded a 78 record titled La Valse de Pont L'Amour which had little attention. The studio Trudy used was a storeroom in the back of Teche Dry Goods in Leonville.

Thanks Dennis and tell Mr. Wilson hello. I like that little story now Neil will have to see if he can find that song.
Le Piquant
You can send me an e-mail and we will definately spend play some music together.

That's ridonkulous. Oaklawn Bridge is near Franklin, not Arnaudville. And I doubt there's any credibility to the history presented. Teche Dry Goods has no records of existence. Who the heck is Trudy Dugas? Never heard of him.

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!