Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cooked Speakers

Have been given 2 x Yamaha 400W 8ohm FOH Passive speakers...a friend did a spring clean of his garage.

They are a few years old but apart from dust they look OK ..however..they were donated to me to see if I wanted, or could do anything with them, as they were' fried ' at a gig ..( A Rock style band playing them at the time.) ..

.. it seems? the amp they hired put too much 'grunt' into the speakers and they collapsed.

I can get them to emit a low level barely audible scratchy sound which doesn't respond to my increasing the amp level.

Any of you Braves have any ideas what the specific issue could be with them and what may be required to get them back and working?..or do I just dump them?

I'd like to have them for foldback monitors, or back - up speakers, as I already have 'almost new' FOH speakers.

Darryl.

Re: Cooked Speakers

Eat them !!

I love Cooked Speakers !!

yum yum !!

measure the coil resistance and see how close it is to the impedance spec. 8 ohm, 16 ohm, or maybe 4. If there is no reading, the coil is open. Less than 4, shorted. They can be rebuilt. Cost vs. value.

craig
measure the coil resistance and see how close it is to the impedance spec. 8 ohm, 16 ohm, or maybe 4. If there is no reading, the coil is open. Less than 4, shorted. They can be rebuilt. Cost vs. value.

do some reading on nominal impedence, and where each differently rated driver will read on a meter...

I think an 8 ohmer will commonly ready somewhere 5-7 on a fluke...

Well, it used to be a fairly common thing to have
speakers "re-coned".

I'd think that you could find speaker re-coning by
searching the WEB. One of the issues in your
cost-benefit equation is going to be the cost
of shipping them to/from the repair guy.

A re-cone job basically dissolves the glue, removes
the cone, spider, voice coil, remove all contaminants,
and all parts replaced with new.

What usually happens is that the voice coil burns up
and windings separates.

We used to do a cursory speaker test by thumping the
speaker magnet against the palm of your hand. It should
make a nice "thump" without any scratching sounds.

A 9V battery can be used to check polarity. The cone
should move in/out freely when 9V is applied.

--OT Big Nick

maybe you get lucky and when you open them you notice a burnt out fuse or crossover components?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!