Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: REED ACCORDIONS

" It's important that your accordion looks the very best that it can"

2 comments

What about tone and playability? Isn't that equally, if not more important?

If you are concerned about appearance (and a higher level of woodworking skill) why those oh so common
BUTT joints?

Actually a 3rd observation....referrencing the accordeon photo on the bottom of the page...
sorry, your baby is ugly. That is a fashion disaster.
Just how many types of wood and how many colors do you need that make the box look like a carnival ride
Hideous would be polite.

Too much BS on the preamble about the boxes.
Needs to be rewritten.. I mean desperately needs some
editing. Fluff out, substance in. Which would also be my comment about boxes (in general)

I could care less about color filled scrolls and exotic woods and that Mouton sells a few accordion parts. Using bellows that everyone uses, swell; reeds everyone uses, swell. Those are hollow ineffective statements in the way they are presented.

Let's talk about what really makes a REED acoordion
better and DISTINCTIVE from other cookie cutter Cajun accordeons.
I have no doubt he makes an accordeon on par with other boxes... but what,if anything, makes them
worthy of consideration, other than slightly cheaper.
The price is not enough to cause me to buy..
but a mitre joint might and excellence in tuning, and wood selection for quality rather than exoticism and visual shock value, innovative technology.. such as bearings on the axles for the actuating levers..
or a larger stainless axle rather than the usual wimpy wire...etc

Make em the best you can and charge what they are worth. Be different, be better. Be the best.

The main thing that keeps me from buying a Martin is the Butt joints.. and he is a well known maker of good
character and reputation...with a long history..
so why would I consider a "looks the same as everyone
elses box" with butt joints .. just because it is cheaper is NOT distinctive.

Someone has to be the best.. why not Reed.

I have exchanged e-mails with him before and I believe he is a nice guy and capable.. and most of the comments I have made here I have made to him..
( I had not seen the web site when we had our exchange)
Sadly he didn't get it and was defensive and suggested that it was I not his philosophy and construction methods (the usual ordinary stuff) and overly defensive of BUTT joints, and is wearing them like the Red Badge of Courage.

I wish him luck... BUTT I am not a prospective customer.

It is my opinion that Savoy and Martin may be the standard, but the standard could be higher.
In my opinion, raise the standard.. that would be distinctive.

I wish REED all the best in his endeavour.

I just posted the website for people interested in a REED. I am an ACADIAN buyer, myself.

I am not an ACADIAN buyer

Savoy is Reed's idol

Butt brothers.

Finally, someone that's not into kissing Savoy's butt. Thanks Jeff, what a refreshing perspective. I am in agreement 100%. Thank you for having the balls to say what needed to be said even though some may take it as a bit harsh and biased. Don't worry about the ones who would critisize your opinion. They are so infatuated with the Cajun Hierarchy Gestapo, that they can't see.

It truly is unfortunate for up and coming box builders that emulate the historical "leaders" of Cajun culture and box building.

It is regressive, oppressive and smacks of pure and simply bias.. ethic bias.

It is im my opinion a detriment to excellence.

A detriment ot box players who could get something
built to a higher standard.. but won't because the box is not built by a "Cajun"

What can't a Cajun get out of the substandard rut and elevate the craft... why because he/she might get ostracized by the kulture keepers. That is the unfortunate truth.

It's sad., if not pathetic

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!