Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: i never found out

Believe it or not...
location of the screws changes the reed reaction

There are web sites about this...

Maugein ( a venerated French company ) makes a science out of fixing reeds and the key to why and how they get their distinctive sound.
They don't wax all their reeds... some being on leather..

Some makers never use wax.

The builder that finally decides to get rid of the expedient of wax and explore nails/screws on a gasket such as leather or a synthetic will make the next jump in accordeon technology ,if not excellence,
even though it is taking a step back in history or doing what other pro builders ( in Europe) have already learned.

Re: i never found out

It'd sure be nice to do without the wax. I know Marc has made some using leather, but he said it was more trouble cutting all the little strips than waxing. And I can see where there is a potential science in the screws. It has amazed me how little it takes to influence sound.

screwed by waxing ?

Waxing versus leather.

- The type of wax (rosin added makes it more brittle) plays a role too. As i experimented a little with wax mixtures, i came to a mixture of wax and venetian oil (condensed turpentine, expensive) only, is what works best for me. Looks a bit like the wax Marc Savoy uses. I use screws too, set not too tight, with little rings, since this wax mix stays a little softish but stickier; comes in handy in those hard to heat places like them edgy corners down below.

- I have seen & worked on screwed and non screwed Bon Cajuns, and the latter have a more dark type of wax, probably with quite some rosin added. The sound of such an instrument in D sounded quite overtone rich, but too many facts play a role too to see that as a pure cause. Also over the years wax tends to turn more brittle as i noticed with older accordions.

- Eric Martin (French maker) i saw uses or used leather in stead of wax, probably makes the sound softer with those standing reed blocks and the lesser straight mechanical contact between reeds and blocks. Maybe our Marc th Brave knows more about the modern Eric Martin's construction, he owns one. - Nout

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!