Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: forgotten website #2 (OT)

Why use such venemous accusatory language.

I will asume that because I have owned Cajun made and Hohner and Italian and Quebec boxes and that
in my opinion...
Hohners have as much a place in Cajun music tradition
That "cajun " boxes are only Cajun" when they are made by a "Cajun" otherwise they are universally known simply as one row boxes or melodeons
Italian made melodeons such as Castagnari have far superior workmanship and in my opinion design
That Quebec boxes are made to higher standard that you suggest I "hate" Cajun made boxes... simply not the truth and quite frankly your comments are not only false and accusatory but insulting and biased if not bigotted... something I have suggested before..
it simply does not belong here or anywhere.

Just because you have nort owned or played or can afford something better, does not mean that those that have owned and /or played all of the above and have concluded through personal experience.. Cajun boxes are at best colloquial and vernacular folk interpretations of a
free reed musical instrument.

I like the charm of Cajun made boxes.. and in fact would strongly recommend to anyone if you want a very fine one without all the BS contact Jude Moreau.

As to the minus 5 plus 5 tuning you all want to hang your hats on.. no this ain't gonna happen with an Irish guy playing any one row box... this is strictly a Quebec thing and largely a thing of the past.
I have owned and played such a box.. a Clement Breton #31... and it was fantastic.. much better built than any Cajun box I have seen or owned.. but could not wait to get it out of the minus 5 plus 5 tuning.. you simply cannot play these with other is instruments...without sounding gravely out of tune.. so get off the minus 5 plus 5 that seemsw to be the latest gotta know it to be cool thing.. its BS...

O Haloran is a very fine player...he also plays Hohner s and cheap stuff..

As to Johnny Connolly.. none finer and for years has played crappy old Hohners in C and D.... get some of his DVD's and then maybe you can post with some
credibility.

To unclog some wax ridden ears.. presumes there is actually something behind the wax...

What really is at the core of all this nonsense is that it is NOT the box.. it's the player
I guarontee if they aqre playing Cajun made boxes they have been reworked and retuned by a credible box tech

As usual I will refer you to youtube videos of
Bobby Gardiner.. I just got his latest CD with a very fine personal note from him
He plays Hohners and in G

One day.. the typical Cajun made box may improve in design and workmanship and material to approach what is beingmade and has been made to a higher standard by many other makers of many nationalities for years

I would list those makers again.. but it seems that facts don't have any effect here.

Meantime I will appreciate Cajun made accordeons for what they are.. folk art ... useful, fun folk art., a joy to hear and to play...

I simply prefer other one rows made to a higher standard and willing to wait and pay the price...

Gentlemen.. please...
This was meant to be a pleasant little thread, just for fun actually, and slightly OT. It just shows that it's indeed the player (in this case John O'Halloran) who makes the music, be it on a Cajun box or whatever.
I'm also a great fan of Bobby Gardiner's music and I have posted quite some Irish music on a crappy old Hohner myself. Not as good of course, but good fun nonetheless.
And fun, that is what this forum should be all about, together with some information and mutual help.
So I'd suggest that we take this term "Discussion" Group not too serious.

I appreciate your comments, but why not direct them to the one and singular person who created the greivous offense of
false statements
accusatory language
and plain and simple bias an bigotry,
and you will note I said it has no place here

What? can't single out the one actual offender because they are of the core in grouop and ethnically correct?
Because if you do you might be exiled and criticized..

Thank you for adopting the role of
" I'm the daddy"

I don't know what all this fuss is about, but you're welcome, son.

Peer, I've just got to say, I don't think that video would be newsworthy if the babe were not such a babe. Her dancing was not THAT great.

But she is SOOOOOOO cute.

She knows it, too!
For the real stuff there's always website #2.

Peer spank that b--ch and put her in her room

Seems like we have the old Randy back.

Controversy and I didn't say a word.
Le Piquant

Just kidding.

Peer I hoped you were kidding, I just like messin around and you can understand that when some others can't

Just depends on the way you mess around...

... I mean, when people start leaving the board for it..

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!