Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Culture, outsiders, insiders, and a little head scratching

this is such a fascinating thread. such wonderfully thought out ideas and concepts. i have really found myself nodding in agreement. it's really helpful to hear the perspective of the "Cajuns" with regards to their culture. i have always felt that the music is such a gem....to be respected and honored when played......but there is that danger that Dewey Balfa expressed when he was talking about turning the music "into a museum exhibit"......i take that to mean not evolving or moving forward.
i appreciate all of the comments......they address a conflict i sometimes have playing the traditional music of another culture. the stuff grabs me and goes right to the heart. then it comes out of me combined with my cultural influences and musical background.
roger w

The nice thing about such a rich culture (if I can still use this word) is that there's something in it for everybody.
For some it's the food, for others the language or the music and dance.
I love to listen to, and to play Cajun music without having to watch cockfights, having to eat boudin, or be eaten myself (by mosquitos)
Isn't that great?!?

No, sorry, you have to at least try boudin. But gratons can be substituted.

Gentlemen and ladies, What you folks have here is something very unique...A group of musicians that are very proud of the culture and heritage with the desire to keep it alive forever. I have been posting a few questions for the the last year. I am from Chicago area but now live in Kentucky. I have been traveling to Louisiana for about thirty years and have a lot of great friends in Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Houma. I have been listenining to the music for many many years and a year ago started attempting to play the box and actually still attempting to play. I have tons of CD's and books and most of my friends know more about the cajun culture and the music than they ever did. In fact when they come to my home or boat for a shrimp or crawfish boil they ask for cajun music. And now they ask are you still playing that little thing. Sometimes I wonder what they arereally talking about but the point I make is Big Nick, Marc Savoy, Bernie Allan have all helped encourage me to continue to play even though no one around here can help me with questions. So I encourage you to help the youngsters and new and old and YOUR nuic and culture will live on....
Chuck from Kentucky

Amen, guess that's what is pretty important ... keep young sprouts alive, and something will grow up and bloom when it is their turn ... even if you just sit around in the backyard or living room and honk your Cajun Horn some thing will happen: you'll get heard, even if it's only by your own soul getting at piece with the troubles and tribulations in daily life.

PS Nick, i think you did right on removing some non-relevant personal obtrusive & cocky stuff from this discussion; it's been quite a good one so far by the way. But since Joey's, mine and other comments above on the removed quarrel, are now sort of standalone & commenting on fried air you could maybe take 'em off too. Normally i am not a great fan of censorship, but there shouldn't be a personal quarrel being fought over at gunpoint in this nice & sometimes even sophisticated Bravenet Saloon. Sometimes we need a sheriff here too alas keeping the peace. Well done. Leave that sort of business to be fought over outside it in the parking lot, so we can enjoy nice beers without someone knocking them over. -Nout

Nout, Nick didn't remove the post on his on. I requested that he remove my post as I would perfer to settle the difference in person. So we don't need a "sheriff" we just need to do our part to keep this topic on target.
Le Piquant

Istre is east for all you Cajun culturalist experts.
Le Piquant

I'm not seeing the flame war some are speaking of. Apparently it's been taken off the board. I do see a genuinely good exchange of a topic that is always a layer just under the surface on this beige website.

Seems to me that the majority of folks here are accordion enthusiasts. Most folks on here are beginners to intermediates. Half of those folks are from Cajun country and the other half are outsiders. There's also a smattering of seasoned players who are semi-professional to professional and from both sides of the state line. Ninety percent of all Braves are Cajun mavens. Seven percent of them consume only zydeco and 3 percent consume both without any caution. 

(This is like a cold front, a dry line, an upper level low, and a tropical storm converging in one spot. Bad weather is in the forecast unless you can appreciate what rain can do for your crops and water table... then laugh off the thunder and lightning.)

Okay, out of this total, all Braves like a song or two or thousands from another genre of music. I think it's safe to say that even the most hard-nosed Cajun person likes a country song or a swamp pop song.

I like the museum display analogy from Dewey. Cajun music is exactly like that. It's preserved and displayed in hallowed halls and the traditional players are the curators. It's very specific stuff with same list of songs that are played correctly. Occasionally a living artist comes up with a new song that is adopted by the curators and put in the Modern Art section of the museum, but it's rare. Plus they have to be from Acadiana.

Nothing wrong with that. If that's your baby, you take care of it. If that's your mantra, follow it. Here are some random quotes from people all over the world that share the feed to need...

"I like jazz. I only like traditional trombone jazz that only comes from and came from New Orleans. Kid Ory is the king. Thelonious Monk and Miles Davis... those guys are not jazz artists."

"Narciso Jimenez is the only thing I listen to. What Selena and Los Lonely Boys did to my Tex Mex makes me want to ball up and cry." 

"When it comes to blues I find it difficult to believe Stevie Ray Vaughn fits into that category. The only blues is early blues period. Anything after Robert Johnson cannot be consider blues, especially played by happy middle class white guys."

So opinions and facts collide. One thing to note on the factual side... music evolves and it's okay if it does. Whoever is evolving it probably likes the original brand too... although I'm guessing Metallica isn't into Deep Purple... and they aren't into Chuck Berry. Then again, those bands aren't playing "folk" music... or are they?

I agree with almost all of the comments that I read on here but I don't always agree with everyhting and I don't even waste my time with those things.I get on here for help from all of you guys who are the pros and for advice. One topic I think you guys spend to much time arguing about is who builds the best accordion in Louisiana.I certainly don't know much about all of the boxes built in Louisiana and I would not spend my time arguining with any of you about who builds the best accordion, wether it be a Martn, Swallow, Bon Cajun, Acadian or whichever but I do ask which boxes are cheap and not worth the money... I think you guys spend way to much time arguing about that but I guess the same holds true for guitars or any other instrument for that matter.
I look for posts that are helpful,humorous and informative not for someones nasty comment because someone else likes a different brand.
I appreciate the posts like the one from Herbert..Knowing your accordion backwards and forwards.. That's great stuff and i applaud those kind of posts...Thats the stuff that will keep the music alive and well.
Keep up the good wor.....

Is this a really big S N O W?????

Shoe not snow. Really big s-h-o-e. Practice it until you get it right and don't forget to check out my buddies links. Thanks and goodnight.

Ed I used to listen to Wolfman Jack when I lived in Southern California. He had a line.
Le Piquant

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!