Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Culture, Festivals Acadiens, Jams, etc.

Well, I just returned to Maryland from two weeks in SW Louisiana and find all of this terrific discussion on so many subjects, too many to respond to individually; but I hope a couple of my comments are relevant.

First, during my time in Louisiana, I met and talked with several of you. It was a real pleasure talking with all of you. I find that I agree with so many thaings that you have posted on this board and that we talked about, even if only briefly, that it made the trip much more enjoyable. Thank you!

I had several experiences that are quite relevant to the things that have been discussed on this Board recently.

Last Friday, my wife and I took a little trip to several towns that we had not previously visited - Kaplan, Gueydan, Mire, and Midland. I have to admit that one of the reasons that I wanted to visit hose towns is because each of them has a song named after them...kind of romantic, I know; but I wanted to see what they looked like.

Great towns, though, even if the people with whom I talked did not seem to know anything about the songs...that seems to be a shame. In Gueydan, Jane Hair, the curator at the museum, did not know much about the music, but she was certainly interested that I had come to Gueydan because of a song. I also met one of the former mayors, who is now 93 years old. He knew the song and said that the real title was "La Valse de Gran Gueydan." I am sure that they would be glad to have some information or things to add to the museum if someone offered it (Hebert, maybe...).
Anyway, I thought that it was intersting that they were interested, even if they do not know much about the history of Cajun music in Gueydan.

Second, I had the privilege of meeting andtalking with two older musicians - Don Montoucet Friday night at the jam session at the Begnaud House in Scott and Milton Vanicor at the Savoy Music Center jam session in Eunice on Saturday. At the Begbaud House, everyone treated Don Montoucet with the utmost repect. it was a pleasure to get to see him play trhe accordion.

At the Savoy Music center, Milton Vanicor introduced himself to me. I have to admit that I really made a mistake when I got excited and told him that I had a CD that he recently released. He smiled and said that the CD was by his younger brother Ellis. Ellis is only 85; Milton is 93. He then told us about his recording with Iry Lejeune and his experiences with him - very interesting. He still plays the fiddle and sings - quite well. It was just a great experience and would be nice to see more of them get more recogniton.

At the Festival, thare waas a lot of great music, but I waas a bit disappointed to see some of the younger bands seem to be evolving into performers and crooners than in playing real Cajun music.

Speaking of yonger musicians, I was particularly impressed to be able to see and hear teo who were particulkarly impressive - Justin Cormier and Blake Miller (from Iota). Blake just seems to make any band with whom he plays to be better. And Justin Cormier - Ikept hearing that he is good on many instruments - and he is! During the time that we were in Louisiana, I got to see him play steel guitar, fiddle, accordion, bass, and drums. He is a real talent.

I mwentioned the jam session at teh Begnaud House. It was great - got to hear Jonathan Melancon play - a fine accordion player. Hebert, thay could have used yor fiddle playing at the jam session - and I am certain that you would like and enjoy playing with the people who were there. They are all very nice!

Last Tuesday, we went to Vermillionville to see a presentation on "Women in Cajun Music." The presentation was outstanding. It would be nice to see more like that and to see more people attend. Kristy Guillery, Ann Savoy, Jane Vidrine, and Lisa Trahan all did a fine job.

Then on Saturday. I went to see Ganey Arsement and the Lakeside Gamblers at the Liberty Theater. What a pleasure! And I finally bought their CD. It too is a fine CD. I hope that it is recognized as such by the CFMA.

I guess what I am saying is there have been times when after visiting SW Louisiana, I have left feeling rather discouraged about the apathy and disdain that so many seem to feel about Cajun music in the area. I hate to feel that way - the music is unique and should be treasured. It's nice to see that there are others who feel like I do. I just want to thank the participants on this forum for contributing to my renewed optimism about the future.

Jack Bond

Re: Culture, Festivals Acadiens, Jams, etc.

I for one, and glad to hear that your experience
was a positive one.

There are countless positives that music and Cajun
Music can bring.

Music is such a personal experience that it has the
potential to cause reaction in people (an effect
that is well documented and exploited in movies,
commercials, etc.)

But, it's good It's good to see that people are
inspired to travel, learn and make new friends.
It's healthy for our society too

We get some heated discussion on the board, but it
sure beats apathy

Glad you enjoyed your experience!

--Biggy

Jack, I meant to tell you to try the chicken and sausage gumbo at Vermilionville if you haven't already. It's one of the most country-style gumbos in town. But it's a well-kept secret in a town with a lot of restaurants. That and Jane's dessert there this summer, a peach cobbler, was her best dessert out of all the places we ate in Lafayette. And that goes for the bread pudding at Don's Seafood Hut.

Here's a story about the Cuisine de Maman at Vermilionville

http://www.theind.com/food/6014-doing-it-by-taste

Jack,
I did enjoy that visit that we had after the show. Thanks for reminding me about our first visit in 1998. I also gave Neal a heads up about the mission I sent you home with. Ya'll get together.

Good Luck!

Ganey
Let me know if you want me to record the replay from TV. I will make a point to get it set up unless you purchased the DVD. Not sure if you can see the replays there in L.C.
Peace

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!