Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: people who question someone's heritage

B I N G O !!!!!

Keep in mind...

1. One out of every 56 people have DNA from Genghis Khan

2. An Armenian immigrant to Austria invented the
diatonic accordeon

3. The majority of accordeons played by Cajuns until the 50's and 60's were made in Saxony, Austria, Czech Republic, Bohemia, Bavaria, Italy etc..

4. Inbreeding may get you purity but also stagnation, sterility and diminished capacity as well as an inflated sense of worth, and exhaltation in isolationis; also resent others pointing out the facts.. another mark of an "inclusive" group.

5. Some migratory social/ethnic groups made choices to relocate when they had other options. Really getting tired of the "woe is me" BS. ie forced to go to some particular place. Nonsense.

My mother's family were not allowed to speak German at school, didn't stop them from enjoying and extending their enjoyment of their music, food, language and culture. I grew up in the middle of it.

The interred Japanese from WWII had much more of a BXXXX than folks who had, and made, a choice to go elsewhere. I don't hear them whining to the degree some others do. And their culture is a very inclusive culture.

I am neither an insider or an outsider by my definition. But I definitely see both here, what is really hideous is that it is the self proclaimed insiders that have decided who "is" and who "is not".
Disgusting if not revolting.

So start making your own reeds and bellows .....
oh those pesky Italians...... harshing our gig.

Last note:

I really think it takes outsiders to see the whole picture.. can't see much from inside .....

Was it Grouch that said I would not want to belong to any group/club that woudl have me.

The infamous Blues guitar player Robert Johnson was legendary for NOT showing anyone how he played

When he recorded he played facing a wall... some said for the acoustics, others said to prevent seeing how he played.

Some can teach and can't really play well
Some can play well and can't teach
Some can do both, but rare.
Others make excuses for either....

ie can't learn someone whuts in yer haid

I share anything with anyone who really has a sincere interest.. and or can reciprocate...

If someone wanted me to show them something on the accordion I would be honored and confused.
Le Piquant

LOL Jerry!

We can help anyone on here! Just ask and you shall receive! Just ask Jamey Hall!! I will show you how to sing, play guitar, and smile! Thanks, Michael

Now that's the spirit.

BTW, I wasn't ranting for myself. I know I'm not Cajun or related. That was for a friend who didn't deserve a ration of ****

Amen to that for sure! I can definitely relate to all that has been said in this thread....

Cool Christine... but all that's said in the thread? There's a song title there for those who wanna run with it. There's some heavy shiite stuff in this thread. Probably one of the most grittiest subjects I've ever seen on this website to date.

I feel the pain of the original post and have elevated respect for cats like Jeffe and Jim over all this. I'm a total wiener on the charcoal grill when it comes to Cajun culture, and while I've been blessed with soul connections from other Louisiana artists, some folks from the exalted Sportsman Paradise give me kaka for doing my thing as a white boy from Dallas. So, Jeffe and Jim get my nod on this 'un. I even wrote a song about the way I feel about all this titled, Louisiantic, from my CD that will be released later today. I catch hell from people from Shreveport and Monroe, and to me they're just East Texas folk, but they swear they are some sorta Cajun aficionados that know what tunes a guy who has an accordion should be playing. To me, they are delicious.

But hey, you're a gal! Welcome to the male-dominated world of Cajun music! Honestly, I hope you kick our asses and invent things we could only dream of... That's why Rosie Ledet will always be one of my biggest influences.

R!CK

Then I make an early request for Louisiantic for tomorrow, though it may be in the rain. I have a feeling you can deal with the say-nayers quite easily. This La. boy likes your stuff, including the colorful hair.

I got a chance to hear Christine sing couple weekends ago, she sure can sure belt out the songs like nobody's business.

My hair and I thank you, Bryan! I hope you and everyone reading understands that I inject a great deal of humor into all my ramblings. I do appreciate you and your friends and family, not to mention your sharp and poignant posts here.

I like to give Louisiana folks a thump on the noggin because some of them have treated me like the fish on a school bus over the past 20 years. They've acted like the big jock at the back of the bus with their senior ring rotated and ready to bonk me one on the skull because they are from Louisiana and I'm not. I can't tell you how many of these knuckleheads I've run into, probably hundreds. The first question is, "where in Louisiana you from?" When I tell them I'm from Dallas and have been all my life, with no plans to move east of the Sabine, they get all cocky on me. When I ask, "where in Louisiana you from?" nine times outta ten they are from north of Natchitoches, but yet they think they are Cajun.

I make no bones about who I am, so who is the imposter in this situation? I believe folks like this are just ding-dong wannabees. They are mad at themselves for not living south of Avoyelles Parish, so when they see a big city boy like me who has absorbed more Louisiana culture than them, they get all up in arms. Funny thing is, if I choose to tell them my wife is a coonass from Lake Charles, they give me a pass. Talk about insecurities...

I get thumps in the noggin from many directions. You sure didn't get that treatment in my back yard, where you're welcome anytime, with either colored hair or pig mask.

Careful... I'll eat your all food and drink all your beer, too.

You can't eat all the food and if you drink all the beer, I know where the beer store is, if you do it again your lovely wife will never see you again.

I call them nevabees and not wannabees
Le Piquant

Thanks Bryan! That one thing I can do is sing. When my grandpa was yelling or whipping my butt for wanting to learn the accordion I would stand at the screen door and listen and then run into the bathroom and hide in the closet and practice what I was hearing. Sometimes i'd have to run back and forth a lot before I got it right but that was how I learned most of my french. That and my grandma who insisted that I speak nothing but french when I was over at her house.

It wasn't until I was a grown woman that any of my family ever knew I could sing and my grandparents all passed away without ever knowing. Mine was a family of male musicians who were very old school. My uncle still doesn't support me but screw him.

None of his sons or grandsons are doing anything with the music and it will die out of our family if I don't continue my journey.

I am grateful for the many friends and "family" I have found here who support me in my quest to conquer the beast we call the accordion! LOL

Christine Guidry Law
..... Mine was a family of male musicians who were very old school. My uncle still doesn't support me but screw him.

None of his sons or grandsons are doing anything with the music and it will die out of our family if I don't continue my journey .....

Generally speaking we do need more women in power at places were men dominate to make this ole planet spin better:

Though we'd do better without the likes of this sweet superbitch:

But in some cultures it gonna be a long and weary road for ladies to take over. Below replace "muslim" with "Cajun", "wears a hijab" with "plays the accordion", and "Sudan" with "Texas". PS spot the Cajun male ... maybe the little bird below at the left?:

- Nout

Well now you've done it! I just spewed coffee all over my screen! Too **** funny!!!

Hahahahaha.....look out here I come! Slowly but surely I'll take up the mantle my grandpa left behind and grow into it....hahahahaha

He's probably spinning in his grave right now that I (a girl) would have the gal to strap on an accordion after all the leg switchings and ass whippings I got for sneaking outside while he was teaching all them Pointe Noir boys to play....and yelling at me to get my little self back in the house cause I was just a girl.

But this stubborn little Cajun gal is determined!

I have the spirit of my ancestors running through my blood and the music in my soul....I'll get there! Maybe by the time I'm an 80 year old granny and then people will say ha look at that ole granny in her rocker with that accordion....hahahaha

If only I would stop getting in my own **** way!

Oh an by the way I am a song writer and have written many french and english songs that I hope to one day record....your post comment about the Thread sparked some creativity here...I can just feel another song coming on....hahahaha

I dont know how far along on the accordion you are or where you live but I believe Kristi Guillory of Bonsour Catin gives accordion lessons. She is very involved in the French music preservation.

Thanks Randy! Kristi and I are real good friends! I live in Baton Rouge and travel to the Lafayette area every weekend!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!