Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Duson One Step

It sounds like Creole Stomp, but at 0:22 and following he plays the opening lines of Duson One Step for a little bit.

Just call it the Courvelle Toyota theme song! (from the TV commercial years ago. "Yeah, I love what you're doing for me!")

Heck Neal, that's still there theme song!!

Sounds like the Creole stomp to me. Are these songs about the same?

Creole Stomp is what I hear too.

I think he blended the two songs and maybe we ought to call it the Duson Stomp.
Le Piquant

It's the Creole Stomp, he is using that pumping 5 10' 5 7' 5 lick that fits in almost any G two step in the right chords for a C part. Me thinks.

A generalism: what i find often with quite a few Cajun tunes, especially some accordion related ones: you change a note or two, and someone calls it by another name. And then all them interchangable B-parts to boot ... Recalling a trip to County Mayo & Sligo in Ireland back in the 70-ies enjoying local sessions & me being interested in learning Irish music: Around the next mountain they often played a similar but slightly differing tune, calling it different already. The poorish farmer/musicians then i met in the outback did not have much more than their fiddle, and maybe a small radio, as luxury items then; no phones, TV only in a miles away pub. Great music though. - Nout

I shot and posted the video. I had it named "Creole Stomp" and then I had my ipod on shuffle one day and it played the song Mark was playing in the Video..and it was Marc playing...either Savoy/Doucet or Savoy Family (don't recall) and the title on the cut was "One Step de Duson." So I changed the name on the youtube...either way its pretty fabulous. Mark

I'm gonna guess that like most other cajun songs it goes by several alias'. Title is not a good indicator of the song in Cajun music.

I agree Mark, it is pretty great!

Whatever Marc wants to call it, it's my favorite version of it, and thank Mark for putting it up. I like the way Marc uses the low keys.

Mark, what kind of recorder are you using, especially considering it's on Youtube, which hurts quality, both the audio and picture quality is awesome.

Yeah, Bryan, I was thinking the same thing. Really a great vid.

I shot the video with a Flip Ultra HD. It was a really nice acoustic performance at a record store in California..When I have a chance I'll try to post
another song. I'll let y'all know. Mark

Hi Mark,

Flip Ultra HD .. that's an impressive little unit.
And not horribly expensive from what I've seen about
it on the WEB. Does it use a smart card? Mini hard
drive?

I'm embarrased to say that I don't recall if I've
thanked you for the copy that you had sent to me some
time back

Yes, that Savoy family is dripping with talent, no?

Hope to see y'all down the road a piece

--Biggy

Re: Duson One Step... gettin' OT again

Those Flips are very handy when you're on the road. Fit right in your pocket. I have just heard that now there's a 3rd generation Flip Ultra HD. But reviewers consider the 2nd Ultra HD better. (better color and sharper image). I think that's the one Mark has. Flippin'good!!
Another good option is the Kodak Zi8. Much cheaper, and good image. Bad sound, but there's a line in for stereo mic(unique for these small cameras), and then you have a better sound than the Flip which has no line in.
I have a Vado HD ...

Duson or Creole... It's great music. I admire the ease with which the Master plays this one. it looks so easy, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. Plenty study material here!! I love the accents he makes, and the long "squeezes". Really brings this tune to life.
Great fiddling too, and nice video quality.
Made with that Flip Ultra HD I guess? It picks up those high frequencies perfectly! Great for recording Cajun boxes. And recorded from nearby; I like that.
I had this one bookmarked long ago, but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding, Jerry. And Mark for posting, of course.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!