Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Recent Email sent to Hohner USA

Fact

Upon request,
I contributed quite a bit to this project and much of what I contributed was later proposed by others who took credit.

Gilbert Reyes ( and others ) are/is now fully aware of this.

The one thing Mr Reyes said they would not do, change the reeds to a better quality as it would remove the signature Hohner sound

Fact.

Re: Recent Email sent to Hohner USA

"said they would not do, change the reeds to a better quality as it would remove the signature Hohner sound"

Probably so, but doesn't Hohner have better quality reeds of their own? If so, wouldn't that give better performance and keep the tone?

performance: Hohner reeds are capable

You know what's funny? A year ago I tried a box that was modified (for fun) by Tim, one of Hohner's techs. It was a Corona. He had added buttons to the keyboard, modified the bass, and most crucially, tuned it. I don't know what kind of magic he had worked, but I thought he had put special reeds in the box -- nope, just standard Hohner reeds. Amazingly responsive.
A good tech/tuner can really work wonders!

Re: performance: Hohner reeds are capable

It's no secret to anyone who's piddled with these contraptions that there is an aweful lot of room for tricks of the trade, lots of little variables that make a difference. Boy I'd love to apprentice with someone like that for a bit.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!