Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chris Ardoin traditional french songs

Thank you for posting those two videos. They are terrific examples of traditional creole music.

The second video is by Lawrence "Black" Ardoin. A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to see Lawrence play at the Smithsonian Institute's Festival of American Folklife. I went to the Festival to see Les Amis Creole, thinking that Cedrick Watson would be playing with Ed Poullard and J.B. Adams. When I got there, Ed Poullard told me that Cedrick was not available; so he talked Lawrence into playing with them.

I had heard of Black Ardoin but knew very little about him; so I was lookiing forward to hearing him play. Their first song was Kaplan Waltz.Lawrence Played the accordion and sang the song. It was so good, particularly his vocal, that it brought tears to my eyes! The rest of the set was just as good. I just wanted to hug Ed poullard for talking Lawrence into playing with them.

It turned out that Lawrence had stopped playing in public sixteen years before. He was working ang raising his family and just decided to stop. But this time, he was back and in fine form. As it turned out, I actually go to spend the entire day with Ed Poullard, Lawrence and J.B. Adams, including one long rain delay when we stood under the overhang of one of the Federal buildings nearby, waiting for the thunderstorm to pass.

Lawrence talked a lot about why he had stopped playing, about his sons, and many other things. He said that he he was going to form his own "French Band" and start playing again. He emphasized that he was not going to play any of that "Zydeco music," but "French Music."He also said that his son Sean was going to issue a CD release of "Christian zydeco music," which Sean actually did earlier this year.

At the time, I thought that somebody should be supporting him in forming his French band and actively pushing him to make a recording - that voice should not be lost!

I guess this relates to an earlier discussion of what traditional Creole music actually is. As best as I can tell, it is almost like traditional Cajun music and has nothing whatsoever to do with zydeco music - and it is beautiful! I really believe that Lawrence (and probably only Lawrence) could persuade his two sons to make a traditional Creole recording of the same songs that traditional Cajun musicians play; but alas, there doesn't seem like there is anyone to do that. I believe that the result would be to prove that there is still interest in traditional Creole music. Maybe some day...

But I will always be greatful to Ed Poullard for convincing him to play at the Smithsonian Folk Festival and for having the opportunity to see those incredible performances.

Jack Bond

I agree with you on two points Creole-traditional-is good music. And two, they all come back to their roots. Just like Wayne Toups did with his cd Reflections.
Le Piquant

If he made a cd of music like that I'd run to buy a copy. I'd never heard Les Barres De La Prison played on accordion, pretty cool.

Brothers Chris and Sean are both great accordion players with different styles, and they have completely different personalities. Chris is shy and humble. Sean is loud, in your face and very comical. They tend to stay away from each other within the music business out of respect. For years, Sean played drums in his little brother's band before going out on his own. In my opinion, there is an accordion monster within Chris that few people have seen.

In the late nineties, I took pictures of Chris at BooZoo's Labor Day festival. He was sixteen and an all-state linebacker for Washington-Marion High School. He did a series of triplets from the top of the accordion to the bottom, and then back up again that made my jaw drop.

A few years later, I had the honor of traveling to England with them for a concert series in honor of the Balfa Brothers and the Ardoin family. I mentioned this lick to Chris over breakfast, and he just grinned and smiled. Sean chimed in that he was probably trying to impress a girl.

I, too, would like to see Chris do a traditional CD, and I have always thought that if a short film or documentary were ever done on Amede's life, Chris would be the perfect choice for the role.

Thanks for those two videos.
I have the honor to see and hear them both and I'm a big fan of the Creole music. For me it's a kind of zydeco with a fiddle (just simple said). I have also heared Dexter and he also can play very good.
The whole family Ardoin made so much beautiful music for years and they still do, but I like the most when they play in the tradition of their ancestors like Amedee and Boi Sec and also their fathers.

Yeah..I totally agree with Ganey and melodreon...

I first saw Chris play at the Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival back in , I think, 2002. Awesome...also Harold Guillory on rubboard was a standout...hooey...great band.

Chris probably has plenty of other things happening in his professional life, other than music, but I sure would like to hear him play more 'rootsy' stuff.

I'm also a closet Sean Ardoin fan...there's STACKS of talent in that man!

Not a real bad couple of off-spring for the Ardoins !! LOL.

Also..I followed Dexter Ardoin from a few years back....his album " What You Come To Do " is a good one for those learning Creole style accordion..IMHO.

Thanks for the video,I've always thought Chris was a good accordion player,and would love to see him do a tradional CD

When Chris starts pushing 50 in his late 40's, he will, in fact, record a totally traditional CD. Copy this post and save it. It will happen. Chris is a very well-rounded artist, from root to limb. He sees all and is a very marketable asset in the realm of non-traditional zydeco today.

Relax... he'll be with you in a moment. Care for a cup of coffee while you wait?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!