Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: stage amp for accordion?

Yeah..similar story here...we have a Roland Keyboard Amp on a raised frame pointing to the backside of me and the other guy in our band who play button and piano accordion.
We also have an accordion line out of the amp via DI to our Yamaha 16 channel desk, ie. when we are using a desk for bigger gigs.

We almost never have feedback issues...and we're pretty loud at times..some of the oldies say 'too loud' LOL...electric bass, electric/acoustic gittars, drums, fiddle, lap steel, keyboard, rubboard etc...4 or 5 vocal mikes and 4 foldback monitors.
We don't have feedback control technology in the line.

I'm a bit surprised how many of you are having issues.. that's all...

Darryl

I have used a few different types of amps. Right now I am using a Behringer Ultratone keyboard amp. Mine is the large one with the 15" speaker.

I have been pretty happy with it. Yes, it is big and heavy, but it sounds great. I am hearing low end growl from my accordions I didn't know was there. It has a graphic EQ which is nice, and there is a ant feed back feature built into the EQ. Each slider has a little red light in it that lights up if that frequency is the one that is feeding back. You can then back that one off a bit and feedback is gone.

I usually put it behind me, sometimes facing sideways so the drummer and bass player can hear it too.

It would be nice not to have to haul that thing around to gigs, but working only through a monitor rarely seems to work out well. If I am going to an unknown situation, I ALWAYS bring the amp for insurance. You just never know whether the sound man will be able to get you a good sound or not. Having my own amp has saved my sanity so many times.

I use a personal monitor by TC Helicon to hear myself on stage (link #2), which has made a world of difference in my playing. It has enough gain and tone controls for me, and the front of house sound is set up separately through the PA.

There are amps made specifically for harmonica that would not feedback and provide plenty of headroom for the accordion that is being run from an internal pickup.
see: www.sonnyjr.com
check out The Cruncher

I am new to this group, blues harmonica artist, seriously looking to learn Cajun Accordion, looking to purchase a good first instrument and am in need of suggestions for learning and integrating it into my current band. Thanks for any suggestions for a newbie. Anybody have experience with the Weltmeister Cajun as a first instrument? Thanks for your support and feedback. I have a good ear for cross position playing based on over thirty years of performing in blues diatonic harmonica situations. Love traditional Cajun and NOLA based music. Thanks

Hey Cliff..I'm a Blues Harp player..still use harp in a few songs in my Cajun/Zydeco/Country Rock/Blues band and on our CD...yep..we cover a lotta bases !!LOL

I think you're onto something, Cliff....that Cruncher would take plenty of 'grunt ' from the internally miced accordions.
Feedback is a complicated subject matter but I like where you're goin' with this [I play single row button accordion Bb and C ) and the grounding I had with diatonic harp REALLY helped me get along with the accordion.

As far as what accordion to buy...I have two Louisiana Hand Mades ( Bon Temps made by Jude Moreau and a Master by the late Mr. Charlie Ortego).
My experience is don't take short cuts..as an experienced musician you'll fast become frustrated with a unit that has weak points or low output....( there are lots of varied opinions on this subject matter ).

The Cajun units have power and precision and reliability. The other non- Cajun Louisiana units always sound to me like folk instruments for gentle souls...probably very nicely made, but...

Weltmeister..can't comment..probably a real good instrument..but for me they're all a bit lame compared to the genuine Cajun Hand Mades, for want of a better description.
Regards, Darryl, Australia.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!