Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jamming with Trent Van Blaricom on Fiddle

jim this stuff is top shelf.
you deserve finally getting your Cajun fiddler.
great feel. great groove.
roger

It is just super, Jim! That Lacassine Special rocks the house.

Jolly good sho' bro', especially the cigarette gives Lacassine an extra touch, any band names yet? How about "Rock the Cradle Suzie, or Mean Cat Serenaders" ? ........ Nout

Great stuff Jim,It's fun playing with a good fiddler.That E sounded great too

Jim you are the man you kick ass!!!!! You need to come out to Louisiana and get into one of these accordion shoot outs show these boys here how its done on the east coast. Well done in all three vids

yeah mr trent is great
nice guy

he was an early member of atlanta swamp opera
the cajun band i used to play bass for
possibly a founder
not sure
tangled history :)

wle

I really find I play much better with a good fiddle player, and Trent was the man. He was gracious to travel two hours to my house in Bmore, and hope to do more vids. I'm finally inspired to learn some new songs, and it's been months since I've tried.

Thanks ya'll for your support

Was also good to have my dining room in the vid . I'm always making the videos at my parent's house, in their dining room..

Thanks for sharing, Jim. Because of your video post, I was able to reconnect with Trent after nearly twelve years.

Ganey, glad you could find him through the vids. I actually met him very recently at a deceased friend's memorial. We played in Chris' back yard, all mic'd up, but never had played together before. I enjoyed his accordion playing too. Trent's got a sweet Pointe Noir in D made out of floorboards of Mr. Richard's father's Church.

Great music, Jim. Just too bad this guy doesn't live in Baltimore.

Somewhere I still have the "Zydeco Crayz" CD Trent gave me in 1997 at Whitlow's on Wilson.

Glad to see he's keepin' on keepin' on.

Awesome guys and again great compliments for Rythmic Dad Pettijtjohn. Jim and Trent get enough compliments from the other braves.
Blaricom or Baltimore is a little difference, but never let Trent listen to the song Baltimore from Gram Parsons.
Do you know if Van Blaricom is from Dutch/Belgium origin ? There's a village in Holland with the name Blaricum.

OT - van Blaricom - from Blaricum - OT

Blaricum: used to be maybe the poorest village in the NL, but now it's the third richest!!

The name Blaricum:
De eerste vermelding van Blaricum in de archieven dateert van 1343. De aardrijkskundige woordenboeken geven verder nog de namen Blaercom, Blarikom en Blaren om het dorp aan te duiden.

Very interesting, isn't it?

No?

Re: OT - van Blaricom - from Blaricum - OT

I was only curious.
And we also have JB here.

Ron, I was getting curious too about that village (where all the famous Dutch TV people live nowadays) so I looked it up!
That posting I did was just for fun, and for those interested... but I wasn't so sure about that, hence the ending, and the OT in the title.
That was not as a reaction on your posting!
BTW: nothing wrong about being a bit OT every now and then.

I agree, it's good to look sometimes to other things.
But in a moment of madness, I thought there 's a misty link in the past between Cajun and dancing on Wooden Shoes.

I'm Jealous Jim !!! **** that was a mighty fine!! you guys could get yourself some regular payin gigs doin that stuff !

We're actually talking about doing that. Trent knows how to sing some Cajun stuff, but he also does a lot of Zydeco/Swamp Pop. The band would be purely Cajun style. Only problem is, there isn't too much of a market for Cajun in the area, and I'm not into the traveling idea for gigs, unless it's within 100 miles.

Sheee-it Jim, in a town as big as Baltimore, y'all oughta be able to find something; you need an agent/promoter . . .

build it and they will come. I play at boutin's in Baton Rouge and it is always full of tourists. They love that ****. its different. its music people can dance to, and by dance i don't mean some drunk girl with her hands on her knees shaking her ass against a guy standing behind her (although i have seen a cougar do that at angelle's in Henderson when the PLBs were playing).

A good way to start is to try and get a gig somewhere small e.g., a bar that older people attend, or an irish place. then in the days leading up to your gig busk with a sign advertising your gig.

don't give up hope Jim !!

Now there's a young man with some drive! That's what I'm talking about, Christian. Restaurants are also places that a trio can do well . . .

You won't get rich, but you'll get work . . . and get food. And exposure/contacts.

Find some caters in your area and let them know you are available for private parties is a good place to look.
Le Piquant

that should be caterers.
Le Piquant

A website is easily made nowadays. (they say)
Not that I know how ...

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!