Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chicot Two Step

Thanx to Mark Marcin I followed up his link to this Youtube clip

Ryan Poullard and Cedric Watson
Chicot Two Step

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fB3Z2II9gw

NOW that's got a lotta get up 'n go to it...that's my style of music.

A chance for me to break out my Jude Moreau 'Bon Temps' Bb and play along with the band... ..LOL.

Anyone else recorded this...and I can bet there are probably HEAPS of them !!

Darryl

Re: Chicot Two Step

Fantastico, a direct link:

- Nout

I know , without searching that Danny Poullard with the Californian Cajun Orchestra recorded it.

Starting to answer my own questions now..found this after doing a SEARCH of the Bravenet site for Chicot Two Step..

Pee Wee Broussard & The Happy Playboys..( they don't look so happy in this clip..they look bored stiff...but I guess they're all happy inside ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfgRBTtFXts&feature=channel_page

I prefer the Poullard Watson key and style myself.

Man, I LOVE Pee Wee Broussard's version. I also really like Danny Poullard's. Balfa Toujours also does one.

Haven't watched Cedric's yet. Will right now.

Ryan and Cedric are fantastic, but sorry: I'll take Pee Wee Broussard any day of the week and twice on Sunday! There's just something about a man who's been playing over 50 years . . . He don't have to jump around onstage: his accordion does PLENTY of jumping.

They're all great, though.

Jamey I posted my responce as soon as I read Darryl's then I finished readting the other comments. You said it well.
Le Piquant

Not me, give me bored stiff traditional Cajun music over the new stuff any day.
Le Piquant

I agree with Jerry here.
In my opinion the version from Ryan and Cedric is very good.
But I prefere the old style and the stiff ones look realy cool without all those movements

Aldus was asked about playing the accordion on an interview once. I think the question as about Wayne Toups style when he was young. He said "you can't rock and roll the accordion, you just have to stand ther and play it." I agree.
Le Piquant

In Cajun music I agree, but Aldus never met Rick Reid.

Rick Reed doesn't play Cajun music so he can jump around all he wants.
Le Piquant

No he doesn't, I was referring to Aldus' comment that you can't rock and roll on the accordion, Rick definitely rocks and rolls on the accordion, and makes it sound darn good.

We agree
Le Piquant

Guess thats what makes the world go round, give me Pee Wee any day over Poullards

Yeah...don't get me wrong...Pee Wee's band play it REALLY REALLY well..fantastic skill levels...tight as a drum ...

...I guess I was just a bit disappointed with the 'wooden ' presentation of the band.....oh well,..maybe the TV Studio Floor Manager was a bit intimidating..or maybe at that time working under lights in front of a couple of TV cameras without an audience ( I presume )present was a pretty unique thing for the band...

Anyhoo...would love to see more vision, by other artists, of this tune...perhaps it's hard to find?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!