Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Acapella songs

I believe that the Folkways recording to which Bryan referred is titled "Cajun Songs from Louisiana," Folkways F-4438. This is a recording made by I. Bluestein in 1957.

You can order a CD copy of the original LP from Smithsonian Folkways. Just as a coincidence, the original LP (which is quite rare) is currently being offered on ebay, ending (I think) on Sunday. There is a lot of acapella singing on that LP/CD.

Just as a note, when the Smithsonian acquired the Folkways catalogue from Moses Asch, they did it with the proviso that all of the original Folkways recordings would be available to the public forever; so you can order CD copies of a lot of great music, including several terrific Cajun recordings, from Smithsonian Folkways.

Also, a couple of years ago, Louisiana Crossroads released a CD of (I think) mostly acapella Cajun songs by Cajun women. I have not bought a copy (I have to admit that for me, this acapalla music is an acquired taste that I have not completely acquired - tried, but not quite there.).

Also, I suspect that Marce Lacouture knows more about Cajun acapalla music than anyone else. It might be worth your effort to get in touch with her.

Sorry about not giving websites - I don't have them handy; but I think you can find all that I mentioned by doing searches on the internet.

Another CD with acapella songs :
"La musique de la maison : Women and home music in Louisiana" (Origin Jazz Library - OJL-3001).
34 short and very old songs by Alma Barthelemy, Lula Landry, Inez Catalon, Odile Falcon, etc...

Marc.

also....
keep in mind that in the 70s, Francophonie researchers analyzed Odile's songs and determined that they were around 400 yrs old. Her family, and their excellent vocal memory, had passed down the songs from France to Acadie to Louisiana orally and those tapes of her singing are the closest versions of what original French music sounded like in the 17th century.

WF

That's what I always think about when folks debate what is "traditional" cajun music.

Well to clear this up for now and in the future I define traditional Cajun music as the music that was recorded from the time Iry Lejeune recorded Love Bridge Waltz all the up to what is done with pretty much the kinds of instruments. All acoustic and with the same style as the past. Jude Moreau cd is a good example of modern day tradional Cajun music.
Le Piquant
Now I know that is my definitions so I understand how everybody else will define the music for themselves.

"how everybody else will define the music for themselves."

I still can't.

Mais dats up to dem. Me, I don't care. Good luck wit your project, defining or not to define the music.
Le Piquant

I found this one from Hazel Scott(UK).
She's a member of the Cajun Roosters

Back in the 70's, Zachary Richard did some heart-bearing accapella numbers on a couple of his early releases. If memory serves me, "Migration" has one or two that is quite amazing. Sorry for the vagueness, but may be worth a journey for those seeking a little more modern production quality.

The recording isn`t that old but I think the song is an old one.
Enjoy.

There's not much I can add after reading all these excellent suggestions! I think I am going to get the Louisiana Crossroads cd Jack mentioned upthread.

I think the Blind Nonc Gaspard songs all have guitar accompaniment, no?

Arhoolie's epic Folksongs of the Louisiana Acadians, recorded by Harry Oster (http://www.arhoolie.com/cajun-and-zydeco/folksongs-of-the-louisiana-acadians-various-artists.html), has a couple of good unaccompanied songs by Isom Fontenot of L'Anse Maigre (I think he was from L'Anse Maigre!). Cadet Roussel and J'Ai Traverse La Mer Et Les Montagnes.

For my ears, I think I like Edius Naquin of L'Anse Grise the best, (or is it Redell?) along with Agnes Bourque of Lewisburg. And Mr. Bornu from Morse on the Lomax field recordings of the 1930s.

I DO NOT like the one on Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music by Didier Hebert, I Woke Up One Morning in May, which has an out of tune guitar. Not sure why he included that song on such an important introduction to folk music when he could have put the flip side, Far Away from Home Blues, with Dewey Segura on accordion. I don't think Harry Smith did a good job selecting Cajun and Creole songs for that landmark record, which overall was a great accomplishment for folk music in the 1950s, but did a much better job with country and blues music than it did with Cajun and Creole, in my opinion.

Thanks all for the recordings. Got some on da way!

Try The Archives of Cajun & Creole Folklore at Ul in Lafayette
call 337.482.1320
http://www.myspace.com/archivesofcajunandcreolefolklore
hey put out a great cd a year or so ago of women's acapelle music

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!