Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Whooarethesefellahs?

That picture was taken in approximately 1935 by FSA (Do not know what the initials stend for) photographer Russell Lee around 1935. Quoting from the book in which I found a copy of the picture: "It (the picture) has been often reproduced, for good reason. The photograph was taken on the day of the National Rice Festival, in Crowley, Louisiana, and the musicians were obviously well dressed in anticipation of entertaining the crowd. They haven't straightened their ties - it was a hot day, and they were probably posing before their performance..."

The actual picture that I have is just the opposite of the one here, but it is the same picture.

Also, there is also a picture of the same two musicians taken in the back seat of a car that is on the cover of a Rounder CD and also a Swallow album cover of a release of Alan Lomax field recordings of Cajun and Creole music.

None of the references that I have identify who the two people are.

Jack Bond

The accordion makes a lot more sense with the image flopped.

Ah my dear Watson, you saved the day! -S

Thanks for posting the pic! It's good to see this stuff. A quick Google reveals that the FSA was the Farm Security Administration and Russell Lee was apparently one of their more remarkable photograhers.See link 1 for his photo of a Cajun fiddler in Crowley. I wonder whether the FSA archives have any more info about the subjects of the photos--I'll see what I can find out.
Merry Christmas and best wishes for the new year to all.
Claude

Interesting. I grew up in Crowley and have close ties to the festival there. I will see if I can get more help. Thankyou for sharing.
Peace
Pat

Both great pictures. Good quality! There is a kind of freshness to them, so they don't look that old at all.

The one on the right looks like Rick Reid

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!