Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Interesting find

Brode,

You are correct! Couchon de Lait appeared on the Beausoleil CD "Bayou Cadillac,_ which was released in 1986. In the accompanying booklet written by Joe Wilson,
he described the song as follows: "Couchon De Lait (Pig Roast) is Tommy Jarrell's "Sail Away Ladies" given a Louisiana turn and a new title by Dennis McGee (Pigged out" Dennis yelled when he heard the tune, but not in English)."

Speaking of Dennis McGee, there is a great picture of Dennis McGee and Tommy Jarrell together on Evo Bluestein's website. Several years ago, when I saw the picture, I contacted Evo to ask about the picture. He said the he had taken it in 1975 when Dennis and Sady were playing on a tour set up by Mike Seeger. When I contacted Mike Seeger to ask about that tour, he told me to talk with Marc Savoy, who had arranged to heve Dennis on the tour.

I was kind of excited about that picture; so I made a couple of copies of it to give to Bill McGee and Florence Fontenot the next time I went to Louisiana. Well, it turned out that the next time I saw Bill and Florence was at Marc's Saturday jam session. When I gave them copies of the picture, Florence started crying - she had no idea what all her father had done or where he had been. Then she started passing the picture around. Whwn Marc saw the picture, he said, "Yes, I know about that tour."

Later, I happened to be talking with someone who knew Tommy Jarrell well about the picture. She told me that Tommy really liked Dennis and talked about him a lot.

I don't think many people know about that connection, but I think you may have discovered one of the results of their friendship. That's just amazing! Thanks for posting that.

Jack Bond

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!