Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A Monarch being played very recently on video

Very interesting video. Makes us go back in time. The sound of that accordion is so clear! Especially when compared to the muffled and distorted sound we're used to when we listen to old recordings quite often.

What use is that separating bar in the middle of the bellows? I remember it being discussed on here already but can't recall the definitive explanation.

Christian

Re: A Monarch being played very recently on video

Ah, Viens me Chercher, a good choice of wine served on this accordion, and that at the right temperature by master sommelier Wilson.

- The sound is lovely, and since it's seems to be a high G accordion the cause of that too. But some modern accordions come close with even Binci's fitted and when hard wood reed blocks are used. Antonellies do an even better job. This Monarch sounds like it has more overtones and less low frequencies with a slight thickness in the low-mid range. PS i have a Tim Reed high F with Binci's which sounds quite similar.

- Wooden bellows intersection frame; I guess for reinforcing the bellows. The "modern" Gallassi brand is probably of a lot better quality and wouldn't need it. - Nout

Re: Amedee Ardoin Accordion

I saw Robert LeBlanc playing an old one and I'm not sure if it was a Monarch or a Sterling.
Sounds great the way he play it.

I love the bellows divider, at least the looks. I wonder (after playing a very very old Hohner) if the divider makes the bellows break in kinda sloppy. Could just be the cheap paper they were made of.

Robert Leblanc's accordion is a Sterling I helped Mr. Paul Guidry sort through gallons of reeds mostly Hohner reeds to find a few reeds for Robert.
Le Piquant

It's a shame the original reeds needed replacing. Ask him if he wants to sell it

Mr. Paul Guidry gave me quite a few blue steel reeds[pre WWII German reeds]. Thanks Jerry for helping him. They were Hohner as well as Monarch and Sterling reeds. I used afew Sterling reeds in my Sterling to replace broken reeds. I presently play a Monarch that has been renovated, with a new bellows and the frames repainted. All the reeds and parts of the accordion are original. This accordion was unplayable before being redone. I have been collecting pre WWII accordions for a while and Monarch or Sterlings in mint condition like the one in the video are quite rare. Most of these accordions in Louisiana have at the minimum replaced bellows. Most have rebuilt finger boards and base boxes. These rebuilt boxes gave cajun music the sound of the 50's and 60's like Iry Lejeune, Nathan Abshire, Austin Pitre, Lawrence Walker, Aldus Roger etc. I have some old Monachs and Sterlings in original condition. The double bellows are not too clumsy if you play in a old time style but they would not be ideal for playing modern cajun music. Well I believe I have talked enough but I really enjoy talking about old accordions.

Keep talking Robert, we are all listening. Thanks for posting.
Le Piquant

Hey Mr. Robert, It's Cameron Dupuy.. Do you have any photos of the accordion? Thanks

Sorry Cameron, I am to computer challenged to post pictures. E-mail me and I can e-mail you some pictures.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!