Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Let me re-phrase ...Lyons Point

Nathan Abshire recorded it on one of J.D. Miller's labels. It is on the Flyright label's "Crowley Two-Step." The number is Flyright 604. It may well be on some other compilation recordings, but I think it is safe to say that Nathen Abshire recorded it.

Jack Bond

Jack,

The tune Nathan recorded on the Flyright compilation is a waltz sung by Dewey Balfa.

Balfa Toujours recorded a song with the same tune, albeit with different words, called Casse Pas Ma Tete on the Live at Whiskey River album. Beautiful tune.

John

John I love that tune I have a recording of Dewey playing it twin fiddle and triangle. One of my favorite waltzes

John,

Yoy are correct - I had not actually listened to the song for a while. In the notes to the Crowley Two-Step LP, Bruce Bastin included some interesting information about the song He wrote:

" ...Lyons Point Waltz is in fact an alternative take to Lonely Heart Waltz on that album (FLY 535 - Nathan Abshire & the Pinegrove Boys). Lyons Point is a tiny community south of Crowley and was honored in the original naming of the tape-box. The superb fiddler and vocalist is Dewey Balfa and the steel guitarist is probably Atlas Fruge'."

Bruce Bastin also wrote earlier in his notes that the recordings on both FLYRIGHT labels were probably recorded by J.D. Miller around 1960.

One thing that I like about Old-Time musicians and their recordings is that they usually give credit to their sources for learning the songs that they record.

Thanks for pointing out that Dewey Balfa did the vocal. Once you said that, it was easy to recognize him on the song.

Jack Bond

I have ordered the CD and am anxious to get it and find it very interesting to hear that it includes Lyons Point and Non, je ne regrette rein. What a mix. I have been an Edith Piaf fan for years and am just rebuilding my collection of her songs that was lost. Non, je ne regrette rein is pretty much about starting over.

K... I still don't feel like I've got a straight answer. One is saying its a waltz (Lyons Point Waltz) with Nathan Abshire and Dewey Balfa, but on the cd Grand Isle its not a waltz. Anyone know where the version that steve riley plays came from ?

Just got word that it is a tune that Steve Riley wrote.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!