Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Savoy very early and something nearly impossible to replicate on accordion

Some of you may have heard this already. I got a recording of this single and it's b-side a few years ago, and I can't remember who sent it to me. Whoever you are thank you...

If you listen after the fiddle parts, when Marc comes back in, there's something I've never heard anyone ever do. Double timing the index finger bouncing/staccato on a two step. Double timing it.

And not only that, this is a FAST version of Evangeline. I've tried to replicate what he's doing; it's not so easy. I don't think I'll be able to do this anytime soon!

Here's the link from my FTP; it's also in website link #1.

http://bengalrecords.com/jim/Marc_Savoy_Evangeline_Two_Step.mp3

and much respect to the other players and singer in this recording, who ever they are.

Re: Savoy very early and something nearly impossible to replicate on accordion

I don't know who the other musicians are but I think that's Robert Bertrand singing.

Marc does a lot I'll never be able to do.

I never heard Marc ever do that double timing, two step staccato again on any other recording.

This recording reminds me of a boxing match for some reason. Ass kickin

It is hands down my favorite Cajun recording of a two-step. I think the accordion playing is just awesome. The vocals are by Robert Bertrand, my favorite singer in French(You are right Bryan), and he played drums with Iry Lejeune. The drummer on the record is Gerald Broussard who is Leroy Broussard's son. I think the fiddle player is Peewee Broussard. That's what I was told. Anyone know who the steel player is? Michael

Re: Savoy ,Robert Bertrand singing

I should have known Michael,that Robert Bertrand was your favorite singer.I love his singing,and I like yours a lot also.I didn't know Peewee was the fiddler player

Are you talking about the part after the fiddle that starts with a C#, this riff is easy. For starters he's holding the high C# with his pinky, and you can either double time the low note with your index finger or alternate between the index and middle finger. This is the version of Evangeline I learned off of. It's probably the single tune that got me into Cajun music, either that or Cher Alice. What's also interesting about this version is he throws in the C#/B/A, E/C#/A combo all over the place.

I don't think he's alternating. To my ears it sounds like all index. Yep it's definitely ALL index finger.

Ted, please show me how you do it, I'm very interested. All index finger. You need some more youtube anyway, bring it on brother.

I'll work on it. It's more than possible, I love how he double times the low octaves notes in waltzes, that's probably a good way to break into that technique.

And Ted, I know how the octave staccato works. Yes, you hold the high end of the octave with the pinky.

But I'm intrigued about how you think it's so simple to fly like a woodpecker, double timing with your index finger at the speed.

I need proof that it's that easy, or I can't find any kind of merit to your convictions.

Notate what you think he's doing on some staff paper and email it to me. Maybe your ear is hearing something I'm not on the C#.

Staff paper?? You're cracking me up bro.

And in regards to double timing staccato in waltzes, that's simple.

I want to see you do this with a fast two step, since you believe it's so simple.

If you'd just listen to what he's doing immediately after the fiddle part, I don't need to send you any kind of written ****.

Sorry man, I'm on fire this morning and you lit the match hahah. Peace.

And immediately after the fiddle part it's on the pull, so I suppose it's in G#, since apparently he's using a C#. I never even checked what key accordion he's using.

Again, immediately after the fiddle part he's in the pull position.

You obviously are, no sense in talking to you till you cool off lol. Seriously write down what you think you're hearing. It's so **** fast so maybe you're catching more of it than my ear is. I'm hearing at least 8 C#'s, or do you think he's playing 16? And ultimately you know as well as I do, the only way to learn tricks is slowly and then bring them up to speed.

I aint writing anything down. What I'm going to do is make you a video. I not so talented and prestigious to have the brains to write it all down. Video is on it's way..........

Just to further clarify this is the same basis for the lick used in French Blues by Nathan Abshire, right?

John

(video of a bad attempt)

You're right about it being C#s. My bad, and my apologies.

Anyway, this is a hard trick, for sure. I've tried for a long time to do this with other songs, even before I heard this recording.

It is 8 taps, doubled timing the usual 4, at a rapid rate. As fast as he's doing it without blowing the whole song is very difficult. But I still would like to see how easy it is, because I sure as **** can't replicate it. I've tried for a long time. My point was, at the speed he is playing, it's crazy hard. I'd like to see anyone else do it and be able to keep the song together. Something to strive for.

I promised a video of what I'm hearing, so here it is.....

John- Good point, I have those Abshire tunes somewhere, and if anyone else could fly like that it's him.

You're actually dead on about him shaking the bellows while playing the lick, not so much from the left hand but actually from his right index finger slapping the finger board (more specifically the button). It's not a very obvious thing you'd notice but it definitely adds to the lick.

The only other person I've seen use this lick (properly) while playing this song is Nolan Cormier. If you can believe it he actually plays the lick faster than Marc because when he gets going he likes to play fast.

John

About Mr. Cornier, are there any recordings still in circulation? I will look him up. Thanks for the info, I'd like to hear him if I can find some recordings.

I've always wondered how anyone could shake the bellows with the left hand. It works so much better with the right, another good bit of info John

Great item guys.
In old recordings it's often difficult to hear what the old masters are playing.
Keep us informed please.

Re: (video of a bad attempt)

Maybe you can't do it but it was fun watching and listening to you say you can't do it.
Le Piquant

Felton Lejeaune is my favorite Lejeune, I like his stuff a lot.
Le Piquant

I wonder if he is alternating a shake and a button hit.
Still not easy, beu easier than all button.

Just a thought,
DP

On first listen, it sounds to me like
two triplets followed by a single note:

trip'-a-let-trip'-a-let-trip'

or

hoo'-da-lah-hoo'-da-lah-hoo'

No?

--Big

Another thought ..

It seems to me that when something is too difficult to
play, it is frequently because one hasn't unlocked
the "trick". Or, they're making it harder than it
really is. (Not to underestimate the genius of
Marc Savoy ..)

But, I vote for bellows shake :-)

--BN

Has anyone tried to slow that part of the song down and count the notes

Big Nick
Another thought ..

It seems to me that when something is too difficult to
play, it is frequently because one hasn't unlocked
the "trick". Or, they're making it harder than it
really is. (Not to underestimate the genius of
Marc Savoy ..)

But, I vote for bellows shake :-)

--BN

Yea Nick,I've found that to be true in all music,It's the tricks.That's why you masters have to show us beginners how to do the tricks,I wish some of you would do a video of accordion licks,are tricks

It sounds like there's no shaking of the bellows going on in Marc's playing. If there was, it would give a sort of wet, shivering effect. I don't hear that. Even in combination with the index bouncing, you'd still hear a shiver.

It sounds like straight up machine gun bullets, delivered by the index finger. Brilliant is the only word I can think of. I hear no alternating index/pinky either. The pinky sounds pretty stationary.

That's just my take on it.

sounds really difficult. You could come up with something just as ingenious Jim. Just sit around and kill all your spare time by playing accordion. When practicing your timing (speeding from quarter to eighth, sixteenth, etc) you could possibly stumble on a gem like this.

Little known fact is that people who live in the country have ****loads of time to kill. Music is a good way to pass the time. Practicing music makes you better.

so the formula

living in the country + ****loads of time Multiplied by X amount of hours = ******* good accordion playing.

Christian- words of wisdom my man, words of wisdom.

Ask Chris Miller

If anyone would be able to give you insight into what's going on and how to do it, it would be him.

I cut the part Jim is talking about. I play the lick once fast then slowed down. It's the same pitch. I hear either 5 or six rapid notes. To me though, it sounds (especially on the slowed down version) like a bellow trick. What does everyone else think?

Apparently bravenet mangles https urls. New url provided

Again, if it was a bellows trick, you would hear a sort of shivering. I may not know anything about notation and written theory, but my ears are pretty good.

Hey, Jim... I listened very carefully and I am of the opinion that the record is scratched at that section and the needle is bouncing!! Watcha' think?

Jim

We all know what a friendly guy Mr. Markie is why dont you e-mail him your question. I am sure he will reply right back to you cause thats the kinda guy he is Remember he likes to share Cajun culture

Well, if Mr. Savoy did respond, everyone on the
Forum would be grateful .. seriously!

I've always found him to be very supportive.
But, then again, I've never asked him to show me
how he had played something.

--bn

Hello again, Jim...OK seriously now...Wilson has a training DVD and in it he demonstrates a triplet that could very well be the closest thing to what Mark is doing on that piece. If you don't have that DVD maybe I can dig it up and play it for you over the telephone.
CharlieB.

Hey Charlie, the part that I'm talking about isn't triplets, it's bouncing.

Ahh...ok..I was listening to the part where it sounds like "double clutching" a triplet.

It is a scientific fact that some people possess "fast twitch" muscle which allows their nerve-to-muscle "synapses" to "reset" very very quickly to fire again, resulting in people (like Mark S.) being able to play at very high speeds. Similar to a sprinter, or a classical violinist, etc. I am not sure if one can "train" their bodies to play faster and faster. At some point, the body just can't produce the chemicals fast enough...

Charlie

Its very hard to replicate what Marc is doing. Its almost like what he does in the DVD "J'ai Été Au Bal", he is pulling the same double note and then says your index finger is like a little woodpecker. I think of the recording of more of a woodpecker on crack. Anyway, he does a lot more in the song that is hard to figure out, almost as if he is bouncing off of other notes to grab another. But we all know he is the master. It just sucks how we all can't push a magic button and suddenly have the ability to play like him. [

Hey, Cam...if ANYONE here has a magic button, that would be you! I bet it won't be long before you get it figured out..I am betting on it...
Charlie

Hey, it was nice to see and hear you and your dad at Vermillionville

CB and Cameron- Finally two people who know what I'm talking about! Thank you!

CB - You hit the nail on the head brother. Bet we couldn't hammer a nail that fast, though I've never heard Marc ever do that ever again in any two step, neither live nor audio recording. I've managed to collect it all over the years (at least all that is available; always looking for more). He also when wild with bouncing in the Balfa Bros. recording of the waltz, "Je Suis Orphelin". So fast, it's almost hard to hear each note being hammered.

Cameron- You noticed this too. It is wayyy hard. I still want to see Ted replicate this without bombing the song, AND at the same speed as this recording. Because it's apparently "easy" to do.

Re: CB and Cameron- Finally two people who know what I'm talking about! Thank you!

I can hear it .. I just can't figure out what he did.

I agree, it's not the Wilson "triplet".

I thought I heard a triplet feel, but it sounds
like one-fast-finger!

--bn

Re: CB and Cameron- Finally two people who know what I'm talking about! Thank you!

Marc is definitely tapping the same note repetitively. No Triplets. I can't do it. Don't get me lying. I have already tried to do this several times and totally blow the song.

Could he be alternating his index finger and his middle finger in the same note like a drumroll? I've seen that done before in other styles. You can get pretty fast, but it takes a little while to get used to. I've tried on my accordion while holding down the pinky and its not easy but maybe it would get you at least close to what he was doing

I think he's hitting the same note. I even slowed it down and still sounds like the same fast note. I can do it in slow motion.

Ehren- It's what Bryan and Brett said

So Jim bottom line did you email the master to see how he made that sound your looking to replicate? Its his chance to prove to us all how he really wants to share cajun music and styles.

I think Ehrens got it!
It works.
Try it out!

DP

Randy, I'm beginning to think you have a crush on someone.

No crush on Marc just would love to see if he would respond to a request on his style. I for one vote no he would not, but I may be wrong.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!