Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Usage of Cajun French words towards European French

Essence = perfume (Louisiana)
Essence = gasoline (France)

But gas will soon be as expensive as perfume, so it won't make any difference in the future.

I thought too that Catin is used for a more positive meaning, such as darling or dear.

catin = b*i*t*c*h (french standard)
catin = doll (old french)

Marc.

If we used the word-catin-as ***** I don't think Christy,Yvette, Anja and Ann would use it in the name of their band. Bonsoir Catin, good night doll and not good night *****.

In French standard "catin" is an outdated word. Today, we use other words.....!!

Marc.

Le Piquant
If we used the word-catin-as ***** I don't think Christy,Yvette, Anja and Ann would use it in the name of their band. Bonsoir Catin, good night doll and not good night *****.
Oops, they toured France last year .... should have used another name since they really didn't fit that description ...
Jim Pettijohn
... Years ago I wrote the word Catin to a French gal, and she said I called her a wh*re. ...
Years ago my father taught me it was putain.

PS Nick, it passes without ******s !! Do something about it, it sucks! Now i wonder what a****** is in French and in Cajun French. - Nout

Putin is the word we use for the lady of the night. Fils d' Putin is the by product of the lady of the night.
Le Piquant

And what would an Irishman call the Lady of the Light then? And her product? - Nout

I disagree with the dancing part, Jim. It ain't that hard, and you ain't too old and set in your ways to learn. That goes for you, too, Bryan LaFleur . . .

Monkey business, languages. We speak Dutchspeak in the Netherlands. But in Flanders, about 1.5 hours drive southbound, they call their language "Nederlands". Now when there's a Belgian film, documentary or TV-series from Belgium on the Nederlandse Telly it's subtitled because of misinterpretation of the same words they use in there with often a totally differing meaning ....

Now for some authentic French monkey business:

- Nout

Boudreaux walks into a Slims bar in Mamou with his pet monkey. He orders a drink, and while he's drinking, the monkey jumps all around the place. The monkey grabs some olives off the bar and eats them, then grabs some sliced limes and eats them, then jumps onto the pool table, grabs one of the billiard balls, sticks it in his mouth, and to all the old cajuns in the bars amazement, somehow swallows it whole.

Cazan the bartender screams at Boudreaux, "Did you see what your monkey just did?"

Boudreaux says "Ma No Sha, what?"

"He just ate the cue ball off my pool table! He swallowed it whole!"

"Yeah, that doesn't surprise me," replied the guy, "He eats everything in sight. Sorry. I'll pay for the cue ball and stuff." He finishes his drink, pays his bill, pays for the stuff the monkey ate, then leaves.

Two weeks later he's in the bar again, and Boudreaux has his monkey with him. He orders a drink and the monkey starts running around the bar again. While Boudreaux is finishing his drink, the monkey finds a maraschino cherry on the bar. He grabs it, sticks it up his butt, pulls it out, and eats it. Then the monkey finds a peanut, and again sticks it up his butt, pulls it out, and eats it.

Cazan the bartender is disgusted. "Did you see what your monkey did now?" He asks.

"No, what?" replies Boudreaux.

"Well, he stuck a maraschino cherry and a peanut up his butt, pulled them out, and ate em!" said Cazan the bartender.

"Yeah, that doesn't surprise me," replied Boudreaux. "He still eats everything in sight, but ever since he had to pass dat cue ball, he measures everything

OK Jerry, you asked for it:

A known saying is that dogs tend to behave like their bosses .....

A scientific test is set up by Professor Monkeylover to put some clout to this hypothesis: The scene is a big room, with windows all around it for the assistants to take notes. In there a great amount of bones scattered all over the place.

The Professor chose three dogs:
No 1 owned by a banker,
No 2 by an architect,
and No 3 by a musician.

Dog 1 is sent into the room. Sniffs around a bit, and then starts to rake the bones together on a big heap. When finished he sits on top of it, crosses his arms, and waits for business.

Next dog 2 is up: walks in, sees the heap, kicks dog 1 from the heap, and uses the material for building a very nice doghouse, constructed with most of the bones, and falls asleep in it.

Then phase three: dog number 3 (the musicians dog) is up for showtime. He takes a quick look around, p****s in all 4 corners, chases dog 2 out of the doghouse, and starts eating all of the bones. When fihished he vomits in the corner, then f***s the other two dogs, and walks over to the window and asks the Professor: "Hey mister, is there any money in this gig?"

- Nout

Hey Le P...dis one iss for you

Don't let anyone tell you that Cajun's aren't smart!!!

Only a person in Louisiana could think of this.
From the parish where drunk driving is considered a sport comes this allegedly true story.

Recently a routine police patrol parked outside a bar in Houma , Louisiana .

After last call, the officer noticed a man leaving the bar so intoxicated that he could barely walk. The man stumbled around the parking lot for a few minutes, with the officer quietly observing.

After what seemed an eternity in which he tried his keys on five different vehicles, the man managed to find his car and fall into it.

He sat there for a few minutes as a number of other patrons left the bar and drove off. Finally, he started the car, switched the wipers on and off-it
was a fine summer night-, flicked the blinkers on and off a couple of times, honked the horn, and then switched on the lights.

He moved the vehicle forward a few inches, reversed a little and then remained still for a few more minutes as some more of the other patron's vehicles left.

At last, when his was the only car in the parking lot, he pulled out and drove slowly down the road.

The police officer, having waited patiently all this time, now started up his patrol car, put on the flashing lights, pulled the man over, and
administered a breathalyzer test. To his amazement, the breathalyzer indicated no evidence that the man had consumed any alcohol at all! Dumbfounded, the officer said, "I'll have to ask you to accompany me to the police station. This breathalyzer equipment must be broken."

"I doubt it," said the truly proud Boudreaux. "Tonight I'm the designated
decoy."

Love it, Karl!

Re: Usage of Cajun French words towards European French-Hey Le P...dis one iss for you

Good one Karl. It reminds me of how years ago writers from all over the place came to Louisiana to interview Cajun people for magazines and documentaries. Story goes it didn't take long for the boys in Lafayette to start making up stuff. The writeres bought the stuff.
We can be some funny peoples.
Le Piquant

OT Cajun jokes versus Belgian ones

The decoy one goes around here about Belgians, a popular item in Holland, just like the Kerryman jokes in Ireland.

So one more, 'bout Belgian drunks:

Two Belgians stumble out of a bar, and totally filled up, at 3 o'clock in the night. Alas they missed the last bus to Antwerp. No worries sayz number One, after waiting at the stop for about half an hour: "I know where the garage is, and i will borrow a bus there to get us home".

So he tells number Two to stand guard at the gate, just in case of unwelcome by-passers like the police, and breaks the lock, and that from the huge garage doors behind it.

After a long period of a great many noises coming from the garage's direction, like falling oildrums, starting diesel engines, crash sounds and more finally number One drives though the gate with a bus full of dents, then stops next to his buddy, and opens the pneumatic doors.

Two says; "What the hell took you so long to come out with a bus?" Says number One: "Sorry, but the bus to Antwerp was parked behind all the other buses ... " - N

Re: OT Cajun jokes versus Belgian ones

Nout, LMAO 2 times
Le Piquant

I'll try to get better at building and playing the accordion, and at the language, but dancing is asking a little much

Here in Holland the ladies of the night also work at daylight.

Enlightened ladies of the Night then? :

- nout

Usually ladies of the nite are so ugly they need to work in the dark. You must have some good looking H (O) (O) kers in Holland

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!