Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ordered a Roland FR 18

Oh yeah..I forgot about the feedback issue....that's supersonic at times with a Piano Accordion we have in the band....all the other band members and the folks out FOH will appreciate the feedback being killed off !!!

David,
How long did they say it would take to arrive?
-DP

It's hard to say for sure. The best anyone can say is "soon". But I am hoping it will be before April.

Originally, they were saying "end of Feb.", but that estimate came and went.

Before I placed my order, I was talking with several different dealers. Last week, one of them said he called the distributor and was told that the initial demand was much higher than expected, so Roland delayed the shipment so that they could send more of them at once.

Another dealer said that when a shipment like this comes in, it can get held up for a time during the import process when it arrives. She told a story about a shipment of accordions that was delayed because some import inspector read about the contents which said something about accordions with "ivory" keys, and the idiot inspector red-flagged it because you can't import ivory. She had to explain that it was plastic.

Must be coming from China...

Only minus I see is the 5 hour battery life.
Will need two sets of rechargable batteries. :)

No, they said they were coming from Italy.

The batteries are a bit of a minus, aren't they? I can't see trying to play live running a power cord to the thing.

And, I will surely have my trusty Guerrini on hand as a backup, at least at first.

http://www.castiglioneaccordions.com/rolandfr18diatonicbutton.html

..and...

http://www.musicgearreview.com/article-display/3962.html

Like the idea of headphones capability..that should keep the members of the household and dogs and cats on the right side during the learning process !!!LOL

And a Hammond B3 capability ..hooey...my favourite keyboard sound.

A triple note that can play in any key!!!! Wow, I want one.
I know Curley Taylor used a Roland piano note for awhile and then went back to his Alessandrini because of some problems with it. Maybe the short battery life was a drag. But, how cool would it be to have to haul only one accordion! When do you think they will have the cajun variation. Now that would be the ultimate. Any key at your disposal in one cajun box.

David, good luck with it. Please post us with the updates. thanks.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!