Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The sounds we don't like - for a change :)

In this forum we all love the sound of the accordion, different types of accordions for many of us. But we probably also all know some people who hate that sound or who are at least indifferent to it. Accordion lovers usually also like the sound of harmonicas. So I was wondering if people who love the sound of these vibrating reeds would also have in common certain sounds or instruments that they don't like. (I for one don't like some wind instruments very much, especially saxophones. And I definitely hate the sound of a muted trumpet - depressing!).
Do you like all instruments and the sounds they produce. What do you all think?

Also, there seems to be something innate in this love for a certain type of sound. I mean, a child hears an instrument for the first time, and suddenly he loves it and wants to play it and not any other instrument.
Do you have any memories of how you fell in love with an instrument? (For me it happened in 4th grade when a school mate brought his accordion to school and played it in the classroom - I can still remember the title of the song he played).

Christian

Re: The sounds we don't like - for a change :)

Well Christian; the sound of a can of worms opening is worst; you just did that ! ....

Example of sounds i hate: recorders, cheap china britches pianos, squeaky fiddles, a guitar with a broken string, out of tune piano's, people singing and playing off-key, general bathtub singing, the mating call of vampires and vultures, when my beer-glass falls still full to the floor, when my car does nothing when you turn the key, military drum bands, a French hornplayer playing off key when you have to record the whole orchestra for a CD (happened to me), broken exhaust pipes, a policeman asking you for papers when you forgot them at home ..... just to name a few ..

PS alas for you not all saxes sound so bad ... - Nout

The only sound I hate is the sound of to many trumpets, bugles, trombones and all that iron where people put their breath in, but sometimes I get chickenskin from it.
For example the hornsection in the DVD from Bruce Springsteen in Dublin.
I realy love the sound of the pedal steel guitar in every style it's played in. My favorite style is the rough one as played on the music from Mike Ness(Social Distortion), who had made two awesome "Country Music" cd's or lp's in the past with also that rough singing and than is You Win Again (Hank W) realy a sad song.
On the second and third place the Banjo and the Dobro.
But the last years I was completely mad about Cajun music. By far it's the most awesome sound I have ever heared in my life. My family is sometimes become crazy from me, when I play the accordion or a CD with Cajun and they become happier when I play the banjo,dobro or even the steel guitar(very beginning)
It's not the seperate sound of one instrument, but it's the whole sound of the fiddle, guitar, accordion, tit fer. It's coming into my heart and it makes me moving. I don't have the right words for it, but it's doing something with me.
What other people have with Cajun or Bluegrass, I have with Jazz music and I can't stand that for two minutes.
It's all a matter of personal taste, ofcourse.

First time I heard the accordion was at the Saturday matinee (remember those? Of course you don't, Christian, you're way too young). Before the first picture show started, a lady was up on stage playing a big piano accordion. I loved it! The next time was when I was college age and had bought a blues cassette tape at a gas station in Mississippi that had a couple of Clifton Chenier cuts on it. I was crazy about them.

I like every instrument, depending on how it's played. I love accordion first, then dobro/steel guitar, fiddle. I also love clarinet, oboe, musical saw (!), guitar.

I can't stand rap, heavy metal, Christian contemporary, whiny folk music, commercialized country (but LOVE real country). Don't care for avant garde jazz.

I don't like Oboes, Clarinets (possibly because I played Clarinet as a kid), too many f'n cymbals on drums. Some brass instruments can get annoying, depending on what style of music is being played on them.

This is an interesting topic, Christian

I know a bunch of people who simply hate the accordion. I try to play it around them as much as possible

When I was 8 years old, my parents gave me an instruction master for pianoaccordion. It was 1958. Than I played in the accordionorchester polka and so on and when the Beatles came , I killed the teacher in 1965 for an other teacher who tryed to teach me guitar. A half year ago, this teacher was also killed for me and then I learnt all other instruments by myself. An when I say all, so it's nearly all . But 15 years ago, I heard cajun music, tryed it on my pianoaccordion and I wasn't motivated. So in the next years I learnt cajunaccordion.
But my greatest musical success I had with jazz-, rock-, skiffle- and folk music. And now I'll reach it with cajun music in germany with my band MaCajun. So I think, everybody must have a great toleration for all other musics. So I think I have it - but I prefer Cajunmusic in all nuances.

I love oboes...sorry, this is supposed to be about not liking things.

oboes always make me think of this feller:

- Nout

Jim, if you would like to hear a hurdy-gurdy and a diatonic accordion playing together I can email you a song by a small Breton traditional band doing it. (If I remember right you were curious about that).
They blend well - to my ears, at least. The hurdy-gurdy is played in a very rhythmic way.

Christian
(I don't see your email address, so I put mine below in case you are interested).

Jamey Hall
First time I heard the accordion was at the Saturday matinee (remember those? Of course you don't, Christian, you're way too young

Not really way too young, but way too far from Louisiana (France). You must mistake me for someone else. And I am not Peer either.

Very interesting to read about the various ways our favorite instrument suddenly appeared in our lives.

Christian

Philip Alleman, the steel guitar player with Aldus Roger and the Lafayette Playboys, looked like my daddy, so when I saw those TV shows on KLFY in the early 60s, I immediately was fascinated by steel guitar.

This picture from the Liberty Theater tribute to Aldus Roger with Philip Alleman is scary how much he looked like my father as he got older:
http://web.lsue.edu/acadgate/music/alleman5.jpg

For sounds I don't like? It's not an instrument in particular, but I don't like angry sounding music, whether it's in the field of rock, rap, jazz, etc. What's the point of that?

Bagpipes really sound creepy, to me. I love accordions. Fiddles are beautiful. I wish I could play one. I've tried, but continue to fail.

I don't like:
Golf
Swimming
Opera singing
Jaw harps
Zithers
Chinese bowed instruments like the Jinghu or Huqin

I continue to not like:
The Gypsy Kings
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Justin Bieber
Vangelis
Captain Beefheart
The Cure
The Smiths/Morrissey
King Uszniewicz & His Uszniewicztones

I refuse to like:
Progressive Nash Vegas country (keep it real and Texas, please)
House/Drum & Bass techno dance horse-hockey
Iroquois medicine chants
Brazilian thrash metal

Man, I love those Chinese bowed whatchacallits! And Captain Beefheart was pretty good on "Bongo Fury" and "Safe as Milk".

I also have a very cool album cover titled "Zither Magic" . . .

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1768488

She wants you, Rick . . .

But this one's still my favorite:

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kpdmoqYFgR1qzeqqeo1_500.jpg

What's Homer looking at?

I remember my mom playing the radio and they were playing "french" music. I heard the accordion for the first time. I was drawn to it then and I have been all my years since. I used to watch Aldus on KLFY like Neal and was capitivated by the sounds of the music. My list of what I don't like is way too extensive to list on this thread so I will just mention what I do like.
Cajun music-some new mostly the old
Country and Western music-not the garbage they play today. George Jones recorded a song a while back titled "Who's gonna fill their shoes" the anwser appartently was no one.
Rock a Billy and real rock and roll. The Beatles killed it for me.
Le Piquant

LP, even though you didn't list the sounds you don't like, you didn't mention the sound you don't like the most...the sound of Randy typing up a post to this discussion page.

I knew I was missing something. That is a horrible sound. I never could stand the sound of stealing.
Le Piquant

Stealing in your mind of a d u m b marine whose head or in your case the other end you usually speak out of is still stuck in a jar. This is the new world we can take advantage of the things that are offered for free Le Pig. Thats why we all have library cards.

Whoops! Forgot to include I don't like witches, especially zither playing witches! Lol...

I really really don't like the sound of the steel guitar in Cajun music.

The first instrument that stood me in my tracks and raised the goosebumps was the harmonica played by my dad's friend Hersey Delafosse, and the song that did it was Chere Mom. I can't remember ever not loving the sound of the Cajun accordion.

Bryan Lafleur
... I can't remember ever not loving the sound of the Cajun accordion.
Well, after a night of jamming boozing and party-ing i wouldn't be so sure about that ... - N

Avant-garde

I never seem to like anything that is "avant-garde" - I remember being in NYC many years and was taken to a club where a guy made sick respiratory noises on a saxophone and another fellow banged on a piece of sheet metal. The cover charge was $5. I thought that was wrong, but I've never lived north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Re: Avant-garde

Phyllis
...a guy made sick respiratory noises on a saxophone...

...and you wish you could put an end to his suffering.

Re: Avant-garde

well, I'm sure I was thinking more of my suffering, but yes, the suffering needed to stop

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!