Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The end of the "Zydeco and Cajun" Grammy?

According to this article:

"Awards will no longer be given in such categories as rap performance by a duo or group; some of the instrumental categories in pop, rock and country; traditional gospel; children's spoken-word album; Zydeco or Cajun music album; and best classical crossover album."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_music_grammy_changes

WF

Re: The end of the "Zydeco and Cajun" Grammy?

yea!
Le Piquant

Cutbacks, man.

I think that the real test of the talent is the sales of their music. Wheather the awards help promote sales is questionalbe.
Le Piquant

Terrance Simien and others worked tirelessly to finally get a category for our music. Even though they combined Cajun and Zydeco it was still better than nothing and finally permitted artists to be recognized for their work. Not that I agreed with the selectons made in previous years. Now, it seems we have gone backwards and will again be competing with Folk or Roots or some other white bread genre that makes no sense and will mean that practically, no Cajun or Zydeco or Creole artist will win a grammy in the future. So we have to witness more Black Eyed Peas Goo Ga Ga ladies and other pop junk get all the media while our guys and gals play tirelessly for 4 hours at a clip with no break in venues all up and down the coasts, in the middle and all over the world, working their hearts out in studios big and small to put out a quality product that will never see the light of day in a grammy show. This is not cool.

Johnny, I agree totaly, it's a **** shame ...no recognition for hard work and dedication for the music and culture that is deeply rooted in peoples heart and soul.

Not to aim this a any of you guys, but generally speaking-I and most of you work our A**** off every day, don't get to travel and see the world, alot of times for free, and get a little cash on the barrel to boot. Music for most is a hobby or a passion and to be grouped up with all the spotlight B.S. does not seem to do my culture justice. I would love a little recognition for the jobs and hobbies I do, but hey "I can't get no respect"-R.D. R.I.P. I am friends with a pretty well known guy, my wife helped him with his latest cd, he went again this last go round, he didn't win, but hey, he got a trip out of it and still gets big time recognition everywhere he goes by the folks who count. @ cents

Grammy Scrammy who cares. The winners were never the best anyway and like whats been posted we buy or COPY the bands we like. Winning this dumb award is not who is the best out there its just bull****. You just have to look who has won.

Having a seperate category validates the music IMHO. The NY Times ran an article on it with the same picture of Tia Carrere holding her Hawiian Album Grammy as in the previous post/link. However, when the author went through some of the categories that are being eliminated (American Indian, Hawaiian, Rap Gospel, who even knew there was such a thing as Gospel Rap?) he didn't even mention Cajun/Zydeco as if it wasn't worth a key stroke. And don't even get me started on American Indians. We took everything from them, gave nothing in return and now they can't even have their own grammy category!

I wouldn't protest at all if they drop all the awards, but if they choose some categories we have to do something. And if they drop also our favorite style, than it's very dissapointing. I have allways a double feeling with the award-thing, because I don't know and can't check if the procedure is fair.
Sale results for music isn't a measurement for quality and voting isn't the right way sometimes.
I played in bluegrassband for years and our "leader" was crossing his hometown on his bike to collect votes for our band.
In that way we ended as best acoustic countryband in a poll.
I think that's not the right way to do it.

For an artist it's great if they get one, because it's a reward for the efforts they made.
But there are allways people who find that the grammy was given to the wrong artist.

Maybe it's possible to mail the Grammy-insitute with a protest and the more the better.

With this one you can mail directly

awardschanges@grammy.com.

I wonder why they don't have a Best Morris Dance Music Album or a Dutch Wooden Shoe Music Album or
an Overtone Choir Music Album.........

meloderon
.... I played in bluegrassband for years and our "leader" was crossing his hometown on his bike to collect votes for our band. In that way we ended as best acoustic countryband in a poll. I think that's not the right way to do it. ....

Was that this Man from Delft? He should be awarded a Grand Awkward :

PS rumors were going around a few years ago that similar foul-play happened regarding the European Zydeco & Cajun popularity polls ...

- Nout

Whatever your said, Yes to it.

**** the grammys. ya'll should be honing your chops instead of watching little miss sugar **** in a sequined dress on tv anyways.

I told you readers with my post a week ago that this category was a joke. The Grammy committee must have seen my writing and decided to get rid of it since Chubby won and they said to themselves "What the heck are we doing giving him a Grammy Award?"
I guess I am not the only one who felt that way. The committee finally woke up an ended what travesty to Cajun music was started.
Ha, told you so!

Don't flatter yourself.

I suppose you also provided them with advice on the 30 or so other categories that also were dropped? Give me a break.

Sure did, they listened to their conscience and got rid of the jokes.

He (Chubby) should get an award for the Crawfish boil he puts on for his fans.

That's the only way he can get one.

As mentioned previously,... you hadn't "told us" anything mainly because everyone on here knew this already.... most of us for several years now.

Not quite sure what you're getting at by stating that.

WF

You did not know anything. I simple stated that the category was a joke since he got the Grammy, then the committee decided to end it after only 4 years. What a coincidence that I said it was a sham then a week later they got rid of it.

When people post here and you have no idea who they are and they don't allow anyone to contact them by omitting their email it just tells me they are clowns waiting for a circus. They aren't worth responding. So, Mr SAD if you are so smart where are your credials?
Le Piquant

Don't know what "credials" are but they are more than yours, The Pig!

Everybody knows who I am I have posted my email with each posting. I have also posted my full name and phone number. I use a nick name because every one does on this site. That is what I mean by credentials. I have nothing to hide and don't.
Le Piquant
Jerry L. Moody

What's the 'L' stand for, what are you hiding???

just getting a smile outta ya, Jerry!

Lover
Le Piquant
actually it is for Lawerance, that is why I lay the Law down when it comes to stealing.

I would say that already this year these are three VERY Grammy-worthy releases in Cajun/Creole music: Amede Ardoin complete recordings on Tompkins Square, Jesse Lege-Joel Savoy and Country Revival on Valcour, and Acadian All-Star Special (French recordings by J.D. Miller) on Bear Family. One of them may even win the Grammy when pitted against the other genres we are now lumped together with.

I am interested in the JD Miller release. Neal do you have a link?
Le Piquant

Link to Acadian All Star Special, compilation of J.D. Miller's French records after WWII

http://www.amazon.com/Acadian-Star-Special-Various-Artists/dp/B004TCPWAS

There's an error on Disc 3. It left off St. Landry Waltz by Austin Pitre, which was mislabeled St. Landry Two Step on the actual record.

The description seems to have left out the fact that the 3 cds come with an 80 page hard bound book of photos, discography, and research essay, including interviews with some of the musicians or their survivors. Important fact to leave out!

Re: Link to Acadian All Star Special, compilation of J.D. Miller's French records after WWII

Thanks Neal, I looked at the songs on the cd's and I didn't see anything that was really rare. I wished they could have included more Robert Bertrand. I will look at it again, I will more than likely purchase this to put in my collection. Stuff I actually paid for.
Le Piquant

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!