Dashboard Clock
Search for other Discussion Forum and contribute your trading ideas, e.g. type in 'Options Trading Forum' in Google search bar below
Google

Web YOUR DOMAIN NAME
Return to Website

Options Strategies Discussion and Support Forum

Welcome to Etradehome Forum on Options Strategies. Feel free to post a message.
Any commentary or illustration generated in this forum is provided for educational purposes only. You must decide your own suitability to buy or sell options. This is neither a solicitation nor an offer to buy/sell stocks or options. Commission was not taken into calculation. Note: You have to know the risk of options writing before execution, especially naked call/put writing, bull/put spread, covered call writing, short straddle, short strangle, short guts, short/long iron butterfly, short/long wingspreads and short/long box.  Forum participants have to exercise responsibility and sincerity in message posting.

www.etradehome.com

Options Strategies Discussion and Support Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
High VIX of 35

ear Options Writers,

Broad Market Volatility has spiked to 35 today and most options writing account sufferred a fast drop in value due to volatility increase. The last time VIX went to 35 was in March 2008 and the market recovered from there immediately. This time, many are predicting VIX will spike to 40 before the market starts recovering.

Whatever the VIX is, in order to protect the portfolio if you are using short guts, options writers must keep rolling down and forward. Never mind it is the June 2009 options if you roll again tonight. What you are selling now is equally high in time value. Once the market stops falling and go sideways, the volatility will drop.

With this spike in volatility and sharp delta loss, the repair will probably take at least 2-3 months.

Please write to us if you have any questions on rolling and repairing.

Etradehome.com

Any commentary or illustration generated in this forum is provided for educational purposes only. You must decide your own suitability to buy or sell options. This is neither a solicitation nor an offer to buy/sell stocks or options. Commission was not taken into calculation. Note: You have to know the risk of options writing before execution, especially naked call/put writing, bull/put spread, covered call writing, short straddle, short strangle, short guts, short/long iron butterfly, short/long wingspreads and short/long box.

Re: High VIX of 35

Yes, I agree, Sun. I added two more sets of short guts today when I found VIX was so high at 35 . The time value was sooooooo rich and I can construct them in a wider range. I did it on EEG and EEM. Hope the VIX will drop drastically below 30 and I will celebrate!

As I write, VIX has dropped back to 33 and immediately I see small profit from both sets.

Help me to pray that VIX will plunge further and the whole world stablises.

Sorry, typo error. It is EGH and EEM.

I guess all eggs were broken in Wall Streets.....

Hi Sun and JK,

Yes, it is nerve wrecking. I refused to repair some of the short call when there were slightly out of the money today because VIX at 35 has a historical effect of reversal.

Time now is 3am, and the reversal has started strongly: USO, SPY, XLE, OIH, MER and many more were staging a strong upward movement.

My delta loss was compensated a bit.

Shiuuuuu!

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!

The market retreated when I went to bed! I thought it was on the reversal, but went down further. How ar can it go from here.

The only relief I have was from oil related ETF, they all went up. So the delta loss was not too bad from these short guts.

I have to roll down some of them tonight already. Sorry, Sun, did not listen to your advise of rolling to protect. Will do, will do it tonight.

x%&*@#$ market, x%&*#@@ banks stocks, must as well buy some bread to keep than keeping those banks.

Hanz, probably no need to roll down already. The world has all come together to ease the current turmoil this afternoon. Futures were up , Hing Kong reversed 1300 loss, all european markets were up.

But yes, I want to join you to say @#$^&* to all the banks!