Canadian Air Force Brat's Association Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Canadian Air Force Brat's Association Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Running Behind The Mosquito Fogger ;)

Yes, bug fogging at Uplands Air Base too, at least until we moved to Marville, France, in 1960.

If I close my eyes,I can still hear the sound of the approaching fogger being pulled by a yellow truck around the streets of CFB Cold Lake. Then we could see the fog rising over PMQ's from next steet over, and in an instant, every kid would be on their bike ready to join in behind it once it passed by. Looking back, it seems really crazy to think that we used to do that.

Wouldn't it be interesting to do a survey about the
health of former airforce brats from that era! I
know a family that has 3 children (now in their late
40's-50) who are suffering with the same serious health
problems.
All were born at the same base. I believe it was
Trenton. I often wonder if there is something about
that. Scary!!

yes outside of the fact that some of my children have more than one head I seem to be quite normal from running behnd the fogger in Beausejour for two years. Does make you wonder though

I remember that. When I was in Petawawa Ont. I remember running into the fog one time and waking up on the lawn the next. LOL

I can recall the DC-3's spraying at Trenton as mentioned by Paul Dalby.
They took forever to get overhead, but we were never disappointed when they did!

Also remember kids running through the spray of snow from the snowblower at the Little School in Trenton. It's hard to believe isn't it?

The old Dak used to start right over the top of our PMQ and the rolling cloud used to envelop our house starting in the woods behind our place over on Mackenzie side.

Question for John Duggan: John, your name rings a bell. When were you in Trenton and where in Middleton Park did you live? We were there twice: 1950 to '53 on Borden Drive and '59 to '65 on Laird Drive. You mentioned the Little School....Our little league team used to play on the ball diamonds there. My grade 8 teacher (Mr. Moorcroft) at Breadner PS eventually became principal of the little school (I think it was called Queen Elizabeth School). Did you attend Breadner PS, by chance?

Paul,
We were at Middleton Park from 1955-1960 then off to Rockliffe from 60-65.
My brother Paul and I played Little League ball on the fields you mentioned behind the school.
My sister Carol had Moorecroft for her grade eight teacher as well. You were older than me by a few years, so you may have known Carol. I recall your name from Rockliffe. We likely played pick up hockey together on the outdoor rink at Rockliffe too.
I have many fond memories of playing ball at Trenton. I never once saw a boy scolded by a coach for poor play in the three or four years we played. I doubt that could be said of many coaches today.
John

I really chuckled at this discussion. I had a converstion this week about how we used to run behind the fog machine at Rcaf Portage La prairie (North and Southport). My colleagues at school were horrified. Getting to the end of my fifties and no sign yet of 'Fog damage" although my husband mught disagree!
Sharon Cooper

Until I read this thread I thought Bagotville was the only base that had DDT fog as part of the summer fun! We were there in the mid 50's and they sprayed regularly. I have serious health problems and have wondered about the DDT, but there is no apparent connection. A survey would be interesting though.

Vivianb

I was there at the same time (Corbett Memorial)and I remember the yellow truck (CEPE) and the trailor as well. I went from there to Cold Lake and it was delivered by both methods so I thought it was natural.

David

I too remember running or riding bike chasing the yellow truck and trailor in alsask saskatchewan. The main road circled aroundthe pmq's, playground, and school.The children continued to play in the playground as the fog drifted over. This was in the late 60's when i was there, i still remember the smell, or would easily recognize the smell. Hey might even chase the truck again.

You mean they don't fog anymore? How can that be?? Just kidding...but I confess, I'm one of those kids, at Cold Lake, in the mid sixties, on the bike behind the fogger. Remember before the Dak flew over, the green van with the speaker on top annoucing the oncoming event..I think it got every kid out of the PMQ's for that shower of diesel smelling DDT. I think it was diesel..Funny, we still had skeeters everywhere. I wonder how much longer my kids are going to live then me?

had a whiff of deja vu the other day. Smelt that old familiar smell from behind the mosquito fogger. I was walking back to the barracks in the Golan Heights and they were spraying in the orchard next door, ahh the smells of my youth lol.............

Ah Yes, those were the days. I have a very vivid recollection of running behind the mosquito fogger when I was a young tad in Borden back in the early to late 50's....

Hey Sharon,you said you lived at southport and north?
i lived at southport from 75-79 but where was the old airfield as you mentioned "north" can't remember anything else there but all my mom's relatives are still in Portage.
Cheers!

I have mentioned running behind the mosquito fogger to my co-workers a few times.I lived in Greenwood from 1958-1969 and that is one of my oddest childhood memories if I go by the shocked looks on my co-workers faces! I can still remember the excitement when we saw it coming our way and playing in the smoke all the way over to the Lodges. I too have wondered about any adverse affects.

I was in Greenwood from '56 to '63 and I can't count how many times I followed the Fogger, street after street. It was kind of mystical hiding inside the thick smoke, bumping into other children as we ran and laughed at the workmen yelling at us to stop following them. It was just like a pied piper. I know I breathed in that DDT for hours at a time, but so far no ill effects :)

I remember the fogger for sure I know there was one at St Hubert, Quebec. I also remember there the manual foggers that you would fill the can up with the chemical and spray your PMQ Apartment in #1 Fighter Wing in Marville, France.

John

Greenwood N.S. 60-67...just remember that it smelt dam good...

Wonder if the company who makes Glade Plug In's would make us a DDT smelling one and use the newer style Plug In with the small fan on it. It would be just like being there all over again

RE: Fogging in St.Hubert, PQ
Such comments provided a good chuckle. Although I know kids crowded around, I thought I was the only fool who ran behind the fogger! I clearly remember running after the white cloud with particular pride as my Dad was charged with this task. Nothing better on a warm summer's evening than to chase the white cloud, then have a bath, and sit on the front steps in pyjamas eating sugar pie. What a life!

Remembering the days in Borden when we were told to remain in our home until the fogger went by. Trying to get back outside, past my parents, was a task. My sisters andI just avoided going home all day (just to see the fog...were we crazy) I remember seeing the truck drive along side of the woods on the south side of the base and the thickest of smoke(white) being trailed behind it. You could not see anything.What were they thinking.

Jacqueline: Your dad drove one of the foggers? You must have been the coolest kid on any base...lol..lot of jealous kids.
Hey did your dad ever bring the fogger home and start it up for you on one of your birthdays? ;)
Just kidding...you should ask your dad was he was thinking watching all the base kids chase after his truck...as i've said before,even better than an ice cream truck.

I remember well running behind the fogger at Southport in the 50's.I also remember Sharon Cooper and Northport.I still live in Portage and always look forward to seeing base brats as they pass through Portage.

Hey Bernie

Quick question,I lived at Southport for 3yrs but have never heard of "Northport".Dad was avionics out at southport twice,once in the 50's when the flood was across the runway.So where was it? Mom is living in Portage now and I will be home for a visit hopefully this fall.Thanks.

Nobody else ran in behind the fogger when all the parents were trying to call us in?I think not!I saw more kids running behind that fogger located on the trailor behind the pick up truck pulling it.Each and everyone one of us had a huge scence of pride in our smiles and laughing while the reg force guys in their NBCW suits just shook their heads and sweat some more.
What was the farthest you followed it?
How mad was your mom afterwards?

I had heard of Northport previously and went looking.. I too lived in Portage (southport) 58-62.. (Grades 7,8,9)

Check out the following site:

http://www.copanational.org/PlacesToFly/airport_view.php?pr_id=4&ap_id=317

Identifies RCAF Stn MacDonald as the former NORTHPORT in Manitoba.........gives Longtitude/Latitude.....

Tks for the info on Mcdonald, Dave, I was a pmq brat there back in the early 50's...Can't believe that I am admitting to that though...Don't remember any mosquito foggers at that time, but do remember a few others things, like outdoor toilets, etc...How time flies...

Dave and Larry:When I was at Southport the houses were meatl with the big Air scoop on the roof,sound the same to you?My dad was in avionics for 32yrs and he said he remembered the big flood in the late 50's where the Asinaboine River (know I am spelling it wrong)flooded and he was working the flight line at the hangers on base,with water up to their ankles.My mom has moved back to Portage this Month and I hope to take my kids for the big tour of the base and Yellow Quill school...lol

Ken,

Metal houses, detached garages, no basements, teen town... We lived at 3 Yellow Quill Drive.... went to Harold Edwards School for Gr 8... Gr 7 was at Victoria Public School in town as we lived in town for a year on 10th Street.... I went to Gr 9 at Portage Collegiate again in town.... remember being bussed daily.

I remember the spring flooding in late '58 isolated the base from town for a few days.... The Assiniboine went over it's banks and right up to the bottom of the bridge roadsurface.

When your in Portage visiting your Mom be sure to drop in and see Bernie Wright.... He has the Wright Spot Restaurant in area of 9th St in town and was in Gr 8 and same class as I was....

Were you there the year the Harlem Globetrotters came to the base on tour?.... a great show....

My Dad was in Photo......

Fond memories and lots of them.......

Hello again David I remember those times well. The days off school because of the flood. Thanks for confirming the Northport/MacDonald connection. Friday night Teen Town

Sharon.

They changed the school later on,only up to grade 6 then into town to Yellow Quill for 7-9.Funny when you think of it today,squeezing families into those houses.

My dad, Charlie Todd, drove the fogger machine while we were stationed in Ramore, Ontario (1966 - 1969) and yes, we kids too, ran behind the thing with my mother yelling at us to get into the house! Dad had it attached to a box that was built to sit on the back of a jeep. Those were the days!

Re: base brat memories

I grew up on bases across across the country, until dad's retirement in 81.' Griesbach, St. Hubert,and Rockcliffe look so different now. My best 'base' memories come from my days at St. Hubert (1969-76). I lived on Birch st., and loved biking around as a kid with my buddies, and sharing barbeque meals with our neighbors, with the old hitachi BBQ. I also tried my hand in the infantry for a few years, and loved shooting my FN-C1 at teh connaught ranges.

Hello everyone....I'm new to this site. I really must add something here though. I didn't live long on the base in Trenton but we had that same fogger at the Drive-In in Bayside. The owner of the Drive-in, Mr. Sullivan? I believe?, would drive all around the theatre with his truck and spray out the back. Because I lived in Bayside we were aloud to sit in the neighboring yards and watch the movies....AWE...the memories!! I wonder??? Is the Drive-In still there????

I remember chasing the fogger at Rockcliffe and Winnipeg (I think the fog only served to make the mosquitos stronger at Winnipeg!)

I also remember chewing on tar whenever we chanced by a hangar that was having the roof repaired.

Not much TV back in those days so we had to have fun by whatever means, right?

Jim

Up at R.C.A.F. Station Goose Bay (June 1964-June 1967), we used to run behind the tractor that pulled a fogger that spewed out clouds of oily smoke. They used to make the circuit through the PMQ's at least once a week during the summer. It use to **** my mother off when it came time to do the laundry!

The C-47 Dakota's use to come up from R.C.A.F. Station Trenton and spend two weeks spraying DDT around Goose and Happy Valley each summer. The ground crew use to raise red balloons to mark the beginning and end of each run and would come across us at about 50-100 feet above ground. It was thrilling to watch it.

Cheers...Chris

being a bit older than most of you,while i was on base at north bay they used a dc3 i think it was.i have a pic of it going over with ddt spraying out.carol has an idea.a study should be done on kids from that time.although i know lots of cities used trucks to do back allies in similar ways with ddt.if i find that pic i will post it.

LOL, I think I have you both beat in the "older than dirt" department: I did my primary Navigator and Radio Officer training ('61-'62) on the B25, C45, and C47(DC3). I remember thinking the Dak was a huge aircraft compared to the B25 and C45.

Well, I hate to brag but I think that I am the youngest out of the 3 of us lol. I used to run behind the "fogger". Now as I was only a stupid kid, I had to make my own fun. But to run behind toxins...OMG what was I thinking. Oh well, still healthy today. I was born in Middleton, Nova Scotia (1964)and lived in Greenwood, then moved to V'al Dor, Lamacaza, North Bay then Borden. I have all older siblings Sharon, Diane, Gerry, Lynn and Cheryl. Anyone remembers my name please get in touch.

What a hoot!!! We got to Mont Apica in 65 and there were three things we learned real quick...those VooDoo pilots from Bagotville showed no mercy to scare the crap out of us whenever they screamed past at rooftop levels, all kids wore pantyhose over their heads in the summer (blackflies were thick), and the foggers were meant as entertainment for kids! God I loved running through that white smoke, and the smell??...awesome! Maybe that's why I'm the way I am today..

I was reading a book called "Treasured Scales of the Kinosoo" about the history of Cold Lake, Alberta (including the base) and I came across this:
"The first airspray got underway on May 31, 1956, by a DAK from 105 Communications and Rescue Flight from Edmonton. The aerial DDT spray was to control mosquitoes but it controlled seagulls, fish and birds in the area. Cold Lake fish were also affected."
No mention that the spray used to control brats.

I only a couple of months ago found this site and as a 1950s PMQ Trenton Brat (born 52 thru 56) I have interest in this subject. I am not really sure however if the military was spraying DDTs or Agent Orange. With what is known about CFB Gagetown's past and now known that crown lands of Ontario and British Columbia also being hit with same Agent Orange I would suspect ALL military bases likewise contaminated by Agent Orange. Anybody else having thoughts on this? PS. love this site and all the comments.

Regarding my above posting under name RDK. It should have been "Ralph Daniel Killoran". Apologies, I use RDK on the occasional CBC comments but also I am not very good on computers and postings, its always a struggle.

DDT and Agent Orange serve two totally different purposes. DDT is an insecticide. Agent Orange is an herbicide. While DDT is not the best stuff to be breathing in it is far less toxic than the Tetrachlorodibenzodioxin in Agent Orange. If Agent Orange were used - both sprayed out of planes and trucks on the base I lived in - the surrounding vegetation would wither and die as that was its purpose as an herbicide - to destroy the food crops and remove the jungle cover that was hiding the Vietnamese. Not to mention the serious health and birth defects that would soon show up in the base population. I think the Agent Orange stories are just that - a bit of Cold War paranoia.

Just discovered this site. Memories abound! Parents posted at Southport early 60's
Left 66. Lived on Portage, the fogger and the great snow storm the winter of 1966.
I think there was high water that spring, there was water over the bridge to town.
The snowblowers in the winter, superballs, bicycles,mudball fights and the hot summer days, oh yeah, the base pool.Fantastic Halloweens, the scent of burning wheat stuble.The smell of the kerosene and bug killer ... the fogger sounded of combination lawn mower, hi pressure steam escaping.The next base, CFB Chatham, they had one, could be outside while they sprayed...for some odd reason?

Dad was artillary so we lived in Petawawa, Shilo and good old Gagetown. I remember both in Petawawa and Shilo running behind the fogging truck. No one chased us away and it always seemed to be around supper time. I have serious neurological problems and so does my brother and sister. We were there in Petawawa from 1955 to 1966 and then Shilo from 1966 to 1969. I moved to Gagetown and lived within 5 kms of the training area from 1970 to 1975 and have put in for Agent Orange and was denied. Merchant Law has stopped the legal proceedings and say it isn't going to proceed.

Hi Karen

My name is Ralph Killoran and I have noticed your postings in the Air Force Brat's Association as well as the Petawawa Guest Book regarding DDT and the Canadian Armed Forces. I also have multiple health issues which I feel start from 1952 and birth at RCAF Trenton, Ontario. Would it be possible for you and I to communicate on this subject and how the government is to take their responsibilities towards our loses. I would expect in the near future other victims becoming interested in this cause.

I hope this message greets you in better health and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely

R. D. Killoran

Email: ralph_killoran@hotmail.com

My Father was infantry RSM Black Watch. He passed from prostate to bone cancer. There were many times he and other men were subjected to Agent Orange while on manoeuvres in the bush. His Colonel had passed as well. It was his wife, while suffering breast cancer, who got things rolling in NB. Through the process she advised my Mother to take action on behalf of my Father. She did and it went nowhere..

The fogger is more of the same except it was targeting the PMQ's..
Cheryl Lawson
Oromocto NB early 60'S
Base Borden ON. later 60's early 70's

1 2