Canadian Air Force Brat's Association Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Canadian Air Force Brat's Association Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Canadian Historical Legal Day

I was 11 years old when Steven Truscott was arrested for allegedly murdering Lynne Harper. At the time I had a girlfriend and I just couldn't imagine how anyone could do that to their best friend.

Over the years I have followed the Truscott appeal system with some interest. First because it was probably my first real legal case that I could remember.

Secondly, because I believed from the beginning that there was more to the story and that just maybe Steven was innocent.

I can remember playing lawyer around the house looking for bits of evidence that fit the crime scene. I combed hair pieces out of my sister's hairbrushes for evidence. My older brother was subjected to intense cross examination on his every move.

Thirdly because Steven's case was historical in that he was the youngest person to be sentenced to death at the time.

Today is another Canadian Historical Legal day.

Steven was acquitted of his charges today.

It goes to show that one should never give up despite how large the odds appear to be against you. Kudos go to his wife for believing in him and sticking by him throughout his ordeal.

Do you remember his trials and what you were doing when he was arrested?

What do you think about his acquittal today?

Should he be justly rewarded financially now for his 49 years of hell!

If Arar is worth 10 million dollars for what he went through in a few years then Steven Truscott should become Canada's next billionaire. IMHO.

What do you think?

Re: A Canadian Historical Legal Day

Did anybody besides me wonder what would have been the story if Steven had been a "townie"? There were lots of other people on that road . I always thought things should have been different. My family was based at Moose Jaw at the time and I was 16 years old. Not much older than Steven so was very interested. Since then I have kept an eye on the entire situation and was elated to hear of the " miscarriage of justice" decision because that's what I thought it was. The smile on Steven's face on the front page of the newspaper today gave me a feeling of joy.
And yes he should receive some sort of compensation an
apology is not enough.

Re: A Canadian Historical Legal Day

I was born in Clinton, March of '59 and I remember growing up listening to my mom and dad (Charlie and Marion Todd) always talking about Stephen Truscott and how they always felt the poor fellow got shafted. Due to this, the case has always intrigued me, so I read any book I could get my hands on. It is still sad to see that the courts won't outright declare him innocent even though the evidence doesn't add up. I do hope he gets compensation for the 10 years he spent in prison.

An excerpt from the Pinetree site written by my father

I don't know how many of you people out there were stationed in Clinton in 59-60 but today is, in my humble opinion, a great day for Canadian Justice. Finally Steven Truscott has been aquitted from the charge of Murder by the Ontario Supreme Court. I was stationed at Clinton during the time slot listed above and I never was convinced about that Steven got anywhere near a fair trial. He should have never been convicted by a so-called jury of his peers (the people of Huron County who as I remember it just wanted to hang the crime on someone from the Air Force. I have an old air force buddy still living in Goderich and when I visit him a good many of the good citizens there are still convinced Steven is guilty. The whole debacle ruined the lives of the Harper Family and certainly treated a fine Warrant Officer WO2 Dan Truscott shabilly. With that off my chest I take this oportunity to wish Steven all the best in the future and hope he can finally put it all behind him.