Guildhall Fun Flyers Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Guildhall Fun Flyers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RC engine work

I have the bearings and the screws for Harry Irvings second .48 Surpass that was ill. I will rebuild this one and hopefully Harry can mount it and use it again. His first .48 that was rebearinged runs like a new engine. It hauls his Kadet Senior ARF around with ease. Its one of my favorite planes of Harrys to fly. I will repost when this one is done.

Joe Hoey dropped off a small .29 Enya that didnt need any work and a Royal .40 that is brand new and locked up tighter than you know what. I hope to be able to free it up without damage and get it fired up for Joe. It will need a complete tear down and reassembly. I would say 20 years of storage on "new engine" fish oil didnt help. The new engine storage oils that come on many engines isnt very good. Left in the humidity over the years they will lock up solid with rust. I would say thats what happened to this one.

I just got an antique Super Tiger 56 back from Rusty that he disassembled and went through. This engine has sat idle for the last forty plus years. It was in surprisingly good shape and showed very little use. We put it on a test stand and it fired right up and ran like a top. I'll post some pictures of the engine in the "Show it Off" section of the site. A big thanks to Rusty for the service he provides.

Neal Wells

Thanks for the nice words Neal. It was a pleasure to work on such a valued family treasure. Its also the first Super Tigre "56" that I ever worked on. After stripping it down and looking at it I was surprised. The quality was amazing and I was impressed with how it throttled. I have seen modern engines that didnt throttle up and down as well as this one. Its a bit on the loud side but hey so are Harley Davidsons and people like them just the same. Have fun with it this summer. Thanks again.