Guildhall Fun Flyers Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Guildhall Fun Flyers Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: killing brain cells

Been working on the airframe again and have left the dope alone for a few days now. I finished the wing struts and now they need to be sanded and clothed over so they can be smoothed up with some glass resin. Soldering the struts took some time bacause everything needed to be aligned and checked as I soldered. It took me about 4 hours to rig them and solder them up, then another hour to get the wood in place over them and rough shape them. I will be at Johns soon to apply the cloth and resin. Then I need to do the main struts for the fuselage / upper wing mount. Those are soldered and in place but need wood, cloth and resin. YyyeeeeHHHHaaaaaaa

Re: killing brain cells

Well it seems as though progress is slow. I have completed the wings except for the ailerons on the upper wing. 2 coats of Nitrate on each surface, then 5 coats of super coat clear buyuterate dope on each surface. It’s a lot of dope and a lot of time. I thought when I hit the 200 hour mark I had a lot of time in it. I just went over the 300 hour mark and the radio gear isn’t in and the fuse isn’t covered or prepped. I also have a lot of glass cloth and paint to do, after that all of the insignias and markings. It’s by far the most demanding project I have ever taken on. 10 times more work than my B-17 was. Problem is I am already planning my next one. I might possible by clinically insane? It sure is pretty though. I have to thank John for the use of his garage as without the place to dope I couldn’t have made any progress this winter.