MATURE'S MATINEE MESSAGE BOARD

A Forum To Discuss The Talented Actor Victor Mature

MATURE'S MATINEE MESSAGE BOARD
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sid Caesar and Victor Mature

Dear Shannon and all,
The great tv comic from live television of the 1950's Sid Caesar has a new book out called Caesar's Hours My Life in Comedy,With Love and Laughter. In the book he mentions that during World War 2 he was a seaman in the Coast Guard and was selected with fifty others to be in a Coast Guard sponsored show entitled Tars and Spars. Vic Mature and Gower Champion were in the cast of this revue show that toured nationally for for almost a year. After that Columbia pictures bought the rights to the stage show and filmed it - Caesar was in it but Vic was replaced in the film by Alfred Drake. He does not say why Vic did not do the film.
After the war Sid started in tv with the Admiral Broadway Revue in 1949 going on to Your Show of Shows of course beginning in 1950. It is a wonderful book and talks a lot about the trials and tribulations of early live tv.It is well worth reading.

Re: Sid Caesar and Victor Mature

Hi Sandy! Thank you so much for your message and for the information about Sid Caesar's book and the info about Vic in it. That was so interesting to learn! I love books like that. I'm definitely going to buy a copy.

I hope that you're having a great day! Thanks so much again for letting us all know about Sid Caesar's book!

Shannon