Return to Website

MATURE'S MATINEE MESSAGE BOARD

A Forum To Discuss The Talented Actor Victor Mature

MATURE'S MATINEE MESSAGE BOARD
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Victor Mature 1937 flood Louisville Kentucky

Hello my name is Sarah... and i am writing this story on behalf of my grandmother who sadly passed in july of 2005. This is an honest to God true story. It is not made up.. and it is a story she told my family and myself for many years. It was 1937 and my grandmother was just the ripe age of 12 at the time. She lived in a little house in downtown Louisville Ky. Which i think it was between Shelby and Clay street at the time. But it had rained for many a day. And the water was already rising. Which caused for many a evacuation at that time. The old boats came to take people away to safty. And at that point the water was already at their back door. And my great grandfather (her dad) made them take my grandmother Lillian and her two sisters Evelyn and Pauline with them to shelter. Well they where taken to safty.. to a real nice house on which she said was on Cable street. Her family and her got split apart, due to there only being so much room in the boats. And with all the hustle and bustle of what was going on. People got put everywhere. She said she remembered the house fondly as well as the people in it. She knew of Victor Mature and who he was. She said she remembered haveing the most beautiful clothing to wear during both day time and night. She said the bedding was satin and silk... and she said it felt like crushed velvet. But the girls (her 2 sisters and herslef) always had toys and other things to play with. Victors mother Clara tucked them in and kissed their forehead each night. She said the food was amazing and the meals where some of the best she had ever ate. But the fondest memory she did recall. Was there was a room attached to the house.. and it was like what we would call a sun room (or add on porch). But she said she the best experience was meeting Victor himself. She said that morning as breakfest was being cooked. He was sitting in something similar to a lawn chair.. and had a cigar in his mouth. He was wearing a red velvet robe. And she said he was so soft spoken and gentle. He was a true gentleman with such class. The family treated my grandmother and her two sisters as if they where family themselves. She was apart from her own family for what i think was about 3 months. But her mom and dad eventually found them. And where reunited again. But yes, she did truthfully stay there as luck would have it. And it was as suprising to us as it was her all those years ago. But to all Victor Mature Fan... i just thought i would share a little piece of history with you.
This story was of my Grandmother Lillian Dunn!

Re: Victor Mature 1937 flood Louisville Kentucky

Hi Sarah! So sorry for my delay in replying! I wanted to thank you so much for sharing the wonderful story about your grandmother and her two sisters!

I really appreciate you sharing such a sweet story about Vic and his family. That is so nice. I love hearing stories about people who knew Vic and what a kind person he was.

Thank you so much for sharing your Granmother's story with us. I hope that you will visit the Vic site often! It was so nice to hear from you! Thank you so much again! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Shannon