Anything about organs and related music

pcnd's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A couple of organs that I look after

"St. Mary's Saffron Walden.

This is my home church, where I sing in the choir. It was rebuilt from a moderate Lewis by Norman and Beard into a large 3 manual in 1912. Not much of the Lewis pipework remains. It was extensively rebuilt and enlarged by HNB in 1972 into a 3 manual with 5 divisions, Great, Bombarde (loud Great), Nave, Choir and Pedal. It is certainly a mixture of sounds, as the new pipes are of the unnicked, open foot variety. 9 years ago, it was rebuilt again by David Wells, with Ian Bell as consultant. It was decided that it would be easier to control with 4 manuals and so, needing to find a set of keys with square pistons, he managed to get hold of the Solo keys from the HNB console of St. John's Cambridge (where I was a chorister at least a hundred years ago!). There are 16 and 8ft en chamade reeds, which frighten the passers-by and all told is a very exciting sound. About 7 years ago, we added three digital stops to the pedals - a 32'reed, a 16' bassoon and a big 16' Open Diapason. The reason why we had 3 was that we wanted one - the 32', but it came in a three stop module."

This is an instrument in which I have been interested for some time. Do you happen to know if there are any photographs available, particularly of the console, please?

"If Saffron Walden is your local did you know Geoff Turner who was with HN&B at Thaxted and lived in Saffron Walden? We were trainees at Osmonds together briefly. I believe the last job he did for the firm was to re-piece the Norwich Cathedral pedalboard. If you ever take it apart, he tells me he marked each key with 'G.T's last pedalboard'"

Geoff was known as the Pedal Board King. I wouldnt like to guess how many he repieced in his time. When he was made redundant in about 1997, I urged him to carry on in the trade as his work was very good. He took his time over whatever he was doing and always turned out a first class job. He didnt want to carry on, so worked locally in a sandpaper factory and then when they relocated to Yorkshire, went there with them.

PCND, you ask about photos of the Saffron Walden organ. I have some, but you can get an idea from here:
http://www.stmaryssaffronwalden.org/st_mary's_music_association.htm
I can email a better console picture. I also have some recordings.

Peter

"PCND, you ask about photos of the Saffron Walden organ. I have some, but you can get an idea from here:
http://www.stmaryssaffronwalden.org/st_mary's_music_association.htm
I can email a better console picture. I also have some recordings.

Peter"

Thank you for this information, Peter.

I shall check the link when I get home tonight.

Geoff was known as the Pedal Board King. I wouldnt like to guess how many he repieced in his time. When he was made redundant in about 1997, I urged him to carry on in the trade as his work was very good. He took his time over whatever he was doing and always turned out a first class job. He didnt want to carry on, so worked locally in a sandpaper factory and then when they relocated to Yorkshire, went there with them.

I met up with Geoff in Ipswich just after his redundancy, and myself and two chaps from Bishops tried our best to persuade him that he should be back in the trade. He was happy making sanding belts though, and he seems to have settled in well in Yorkshire. We are still in touch from time to time. A very consciencious organ builder, and a born enthusiast!

Would you like to look after my organ ? i could shoot a good load into you 😊