Return to Website

Old Cambuslang

Old Cambuslang Snippits and Personal Contact messages

Old Cambuslang
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Railway Bridge near Newton.

Can anyone tell me the ' Local Name ' for a Railway Bridge, that was situated quite close to Newton, in the Countryside almost. If you walked up Newton Brae and turned right at the top and then sharp left and walked up that road; you eventually came to a nice big house on the left ( This was Father Egan's House in the 60's ), who was St Charles Newton Parish Priest.
You then turned right up the road immediately across from this house and the bridge I refer to, was about 600 yards along. I know in days gone by; many people would sit and carve their name on this bridge. I seem to recall my Dad ( Now Deceased ) calling it ' The Generals Bridge'? Or ' The Colonels Bridge' ?
Any help with this would be very much appreciated.
Incidentally; I was born in 1963 in the Tenement Building that used to stand directly across from the Newton Arms ( Now Coach and Horses ) ? Literally next to St Charles Primary, which I attended.

Your location weston Super Mare

Re: Railway Bridge near Newton.

The bridge is still there, if its the one near Newton that takes you over the Clyde to Carmyle ? Not sure what its called though.

Your location Cambuslang

The bridge you refer to is on the road that runs from Westburn road, to Dalton on the Hamilton road. I think this road is called Old Manse Road, it now appears to be closed just after the junction with the road that leads down to Hallside school. The bridge crosses the Newton to Hamilton railway line, but, I was not aware that it had any name. The \"Tenement\" building you lived in was known as The Terrace and was probably the best housing in Newton, I recall some houses had bathrooms, when outside toilets were the norm for the rest of the village.

Your location United Kingdom

I now know 'The General's Bridge' is a bridge on Stoneymeadow Road, whete the Rotten Calder Tiver passes underneath.

.........that should be....
"Where The Rotten Calder River passes underneath "
Typing on Smart Phone keypad is not easy for the older man !!!!!

Does anyone know when the ' Wooden Houses '
in Northbank Avenue / Westburn were built ?
Pre War or Post War?
Many thanks.

This seems to be the bridge you describe. Goes over a railway line

https://goo.gl/maps/o82sEfEqTwT2

Hi Ed,
Yes.....thats the one I described.....with my own name carved on it from 1978 !!!
I thought it may have been called The Generals Bridge......but as I posted earlier.....I now know that The Generals Bridge is on Stoneymeadow Road........with the Rotten Calder River passing underneath.
Any idea on the Northbank Avenue Houses?
My Dad's Family lived there you see ( The McPake's ).......and my Mums Family lived next door ( The Flynn's).

I can tell you that according to a 1940 map there were no houses there in 1940. But they were there in 1943.

See 1943 RAF aerial photo

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/Cambuslang/Cambuslang%20Aerial.jpg

Thanks for that Ed. Much appreciated. My Dad's family moved from Bothwell Street / Silverbanks; to Northbank Avenue you see........and I was trying to find out if this was during the War years.......as I think they moved just after the Wooden Houses in Northbank Avenue wete built.
Thank you again for your help.
Jim.