Return to Website

Old Cambuslang

Old Cambuslang Snippits and Personal Contact messages

Old Cambuslang
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No Subject

Does anyone remember teacher Sid McEwan of St Bride's in the 1950s and was a member of his choir?

Ed Boyle

Syd McEwan

I remember Syd McEwan. I wasn't in his class or his choir but he taught in St Bride's with my aunt, Margaret Maley, so I used to see him in her house from time to time. He used to live near the public park in Rutherglen. As far as I know he never married and last I heard he emigrated to Canada.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Does anyone remember teacher Sid McEwan of St Bride's in the 1950s and was a member of his choir?

Ed Boyle

Re: Syd McEwan

Thanks Ian

The reason I asked is that I was a member of the choir and as part of the group, had a wondeful summer holiday in Acharacle in the mid 1950's. There we took rolls of cine film of eack other and I often wondered what happended to that film. I presume Sid is now long gone!

Replying to:

I remember Syd McEwan. I wasn't in his class or his choir but he taught in St Bride's with my aunt, Margaret Maley, so I used to see him in her house from time to time. He used to live near the public park in Rutherglen. As far as I know he never married and last I heard he emigrated to Canada.

Replying to:

Ed Boyle

Your location Kilmarnock

Re: Re: Syd McEwan

Hi,

My two brothers Jim and Michael sang in Syd's choir and went on a trip up north with him. Mr. McEwan came to our house before the boys went on the trip with him. I remember Miss Maley well, she was a lovely teacher. Miss Maley stayed with her sister and her sister's husband was from Poland. I remember Bruno his son coming to Cambuslang.

Replying to:

Thanks Ian

The reason I asked is that I was a member of the choir and as part of the group, had a wondeful summer holiday in Acharacle in the mid 1950's. There we took rolls of cine film of eack other and I often wondered what happended to that film. I presume Sid is now long gone!

Replying to:

Replying to:

Ed Boyle

Your location Ontario, Canada

Re: Syd McEwan

I was a member Syd McEwan choir along John Coyle I was at school with you Ed Boyle

Replying to:

Replying to:

Ed Boyle

Your location NewtonI

Re: Re: Re: Syd McEwan

I'm think I'm a bit confused, the McEwan I was thinking about was Tom McEwan - not Syd - unless Syd was his nickname?

I wasn't in his class or the choir so I can't remember.

Replying to:

Hi,

My two brothers Jim and Michael sang in Syd's choir and went on a trip up north with him. Mr. McEwan came to our house before the boys went on the trip with him. I remember Miss Maley well, she was a lovely teacher. Miss Maley stayed with her sister and her sister's husband was from Poland. I remember Bruno his son coming to Cambuslang.

Replying to:

Thanks Ian

Replying to:

Replying to:

Ed Boyle

Re: Re: Re: Re: Syd McEwan

I will ask my sister Marie, you may be correct. I think he was called that in reference to Fr. Sydney McEwan the singer. Miss Maley was friends with my aunt (Kathleen Connor) who taught at St. Charles' Newton.

Replying to:

I'm think I'm a bit confused, the McEwan I was thinking about was Tom McEwan - not Syd - unless Syd was his nickname?

I wasn't in his class or the choir so I can't remember.

Replying to:

Hi,

Replying to:

Thanks Ian

Replying to:

Replying to:

Ed Boyle

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Syd McEwan

I do not want to upset you but i am sure syd ended up in prison

Your location blantyre