Return to Website

Old Cambuslang

Old Cambuslang Snippits and Personal Contact messages

Old Cambuslang
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
possible cinema in westburn rd

This is something that elder citizen of cambuslang may be able to help me with. I have been told by two elder citizens that they remember a cinema in Westburn Rd. This would possibly be the very early days of cinema and was again a building that was converted to cinema use. I haven't been at the site but I understand the building is still in use today, Blacksmith/engineers?. all info reqd. norrie

Your location rurherglen

Re: possible cinema in westburn rd

The building that was the Cinema is still there. It is the last building in Westburn on the left past the pub heading towards Newton & Hallside. You are correct in the fact that it is a Welding & Fabrication Business

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

This is something that elder citizen of cambuslang may be able to help me with. I have been told by two elder citizens that they remember a cinema in Westburn Rd. This would possibly be the very early days of cinema and was again a building that was converted to cinema use. I haven't been at the site but I understand the building is still in use today, Blacksmith/engineers?. all info reqd. norrie

Your location Scotland

Re: Re: possible cinema in westburn rd

Joe,

Did this building have a large ventilation pipe prodruding from the from the wall which looked like a hugh nail (to the eyes of a 6 year old)?

Ed

Replying to:

The building that was the Cinema is still there. It is the last building in Westburn on the left past the pub heading towards Newton & Hallside. You are correct in the fact that it is a Welding & Fabrication Business

Replying to:

Your location Kilmarnock

Re: Re: Re: possible cinema in westburn rd

Ed,

Now that you mention it there was a large silver ventilation pipe coming out of the building

Replying to:

Joe,

Did this building have a large ventilation pipe prodruding from the from the wall which looked like a hugh nail (to the eyes of a 6 year old)?

Ed

Replying to:

Replying to:

Your location East Kilbride, Scotland

I remember the building well,it was a welding business,in 1959 it was owned and run by a OWEN CURRAN,i used to watch him weld and he even let me try it and guess what i became a welder,before i left WESTBURN in 1959 for AUSTRALIA i went and said goodbye to him,i always remember going to school at ST CHARLES newton and every morning he would always say hello to all the kids.

Replying to:

Your location AUSTRALIA

I have just checked the Cambuslang site re information about possible cinema in Westburn. Thanks for taking the time to reply.I am beginning to think that this cinema was one that really had no real name as no one seems to remember it but thanks anyway. I should have checked out site sooner.

I remember the cinema in Westburn. It was owned and operated by the family Rothwell. Price of entry. A one pound jam jar. For a two pound jar, you could have a few sweeties.plus entry. The young lady who tended the reception , which was through the Shop.
Was unfortunately a hunchback. I can't remember her first name. I feel sure that the price of entry was obtained by pilfering from the rear of the establishment. where the jars were stored. Further , I feel sure they were aware of this. I also note that the premises are, and were later occupied by Owen Curran. He also lived in Northbank Ave. I lived in No.14 This may enable a few more anicdotes of the Westburn area. Jimmy Campbell. Is Chales Cannon a relative of Paddy Cannon???

Your location Tauranga. New Zealand

Hi Jimmy, I just got notification of this post a few minutes ago, 15-10hours 11-04-05.

Thanks for that little snippet but can you remember the name that the cinema was called, even the local nickname would do as no one can remember what it was called.

Thanks again, Norrie

Your location Rutherglen

Re: Re: Re: possible cinema in westburn rd

Norman,
I am Jimmy Campbell's brother, Ronnie. Maybe my memory is clearer than his. The wee woman with the hump was called Sarah Rothwell. But, and it's a big but...the Rothwell's took over the little reception area 'after' the cinema closed and ran a wee shop there.
The Picture House was called 'The Empire' Westburn. This closed when a bigger/newer Empire opened at the Cambuslang terminus.

Hope that this news helps everyone?

By the way, Jimmy was right about Owen Curran, he and two neighbours from Northbank Avenue (Gerry McPake and Danny Clements) opened the old hall and made electric fires there. Yes, the building still stands...just below The Westburn Bar on the way to Newton Village. By the way, the wee burn that runs behind the old cinema is the 'West Burn' which gave the village its name.

Kind regards,
Ronnie.

Your location Leeds

Re: Re: Re: Re: possible cinema in westburn rd

Hi Ronnie, I had forgotten about this request, it has been that long since I have had any feedback on this topic.
Tahnk you very much, you have filled in a bit of data that was missing.

I will forward this information to the cinema web site that I subscribe to.

Bye for now, Norrie

Your location rutherglen