Return to Website

Old Cambuslang

Old Cambuslang Snippits and Personal Contact messages

Old Cambuslang
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
David Forbes Martyn

I am seeking information about about David Forbes Martyn who was born in Cambuslang in 1906.

In 1966 as a young man I began a career with an Australian government research organisation. The man who hired me for this position was Dr David Forbes Martyn who was 60 years old at the time. Dr Martyn, who was a truly outstanding scientist, had migrated to Australia from Scotland in the 1930s.

Recently I learned that Dr Martyn had been born in Cambuslang and, because my wife was spending September and October 2002 at Edinburgh University, I decided to visit Cambuslang to see if I could find any record of the family of my old boss and friend. The people in the library at Cambuslang were friendly and tried to assist me by showing me publications about old Cambuslang but I was unable to find any reference to the information I was seeking.

Details of David Martyn's early life as I know them are:

David Forbes Martyn: Born Cambuslang Scotland June 27 1906.

Father: Dr H. Somerville Martyn; Mother: Elizabeth Craigallan Martyn.

Educated: Plymouth College, Allan Glen's School (Glasgow), Royal College of Science London.

I am not sure what kind of a doctor David's father was but I assume he was a medical practitioner. I thought that would make the family easier to trace but I could find no record of Dr Somerville Martyn in the Cambuslang library.

Your location Epping NSW Australia

Re: David Forbes Martyn

Hi Keith,

I am a descendant of David Forbes Martyn. My father (also called David) knew him and he still lives in Cambuslang. If you're still interested in finding out about him let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Best regards,

David