Return to Website

Old Cambuslang

Old Cambuslang Snippits and Personal Contact messages

Old Cambuslang
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
McKenna family

My brother, Peter McKenna, and I have been researching our family tree and have found that our grandfather lived in Silverbanks at one time. In 1891, our great granny, Jane McKenna, a widow, lived in Lorne Rest Buildings with her daughters Annie, Mary, Letitia and Bridget and her sons Peter, Robert, James and Francis. We know that Mary married a mining engineer called Gillon and in 1901 she was living with her husband and children in Greenlees road. If anyone knows anything, no matter how little, about any of the family members, we'd love to hear from you. Cheers, Kathleen

Your location East Kilbride

Re: McKenna family

well kathleen it might not mean much but i stayed at 45 park street i we went out the back yard there was a corner close that was 19 morision st well when i was young a family named mckenna was a old couple the reason i know i used go messages for them and every week that man gave me his empty beer bottles, in that close there also was a docherty family im sure the lady was also called mckenna.
yours tomm mc sorley

Your location wollongong nsw austraila

Re: McKenna family

Kathleen,

There were if I remember correctly 4 or 5 McKenna families in Cambuslang and I don't think any of them were related. There was a family from Silverbanks who owned a betting shop, they had a son called Leslie who also now stays in East Kilbride.
There was a family from the Halfway, who had a Peter, James, John and Edward who also stay in East Kilbride.
There was a family from Westburn one of whom was an Undertaker, I think his name was Peter and I think another brother was called Frank who at one time was involved with the Cambuslang Miners Welfare Club in the Halfway.
There was another family who I think also stayed in Silverbanks who were associated with the Salvation Army.
The Family that Tommy McSorley is talking about is my family. My Granny (who was a Donnachie) and Grandfather stayed at 19 Morriston Street and he is correct in thinking that there was a Docherty who was also a McKenna, that was my aunt Mary who was married to Michael Docherty who worked in the Hoover.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My brother, Peter McKenna, and I have been researching our family tree and have found that our grandfather lived in Silverbanks at one time. In 1891, our great granny, Jane McKenna, a widow, lived in Lorne Rest Buildings with her daughters Annie, Mary, Letitia and Bridget and her sons Peter, Robert, James and Francis. We know that Mary married a mining engineer called Gillon and in 1901 she was living with her husband and children in Greenlees road. If anyone knows anything, no matter how little, about any of the family members, we'd love to hear from you. Cheers, Kathleen

Re: Re: McKenna family

Dear Joe,

Thanks for your mail. The family in Silverbanks with the son called Leslie is not my family, because that name has never occurred in it before or since. The family from Halfway is my family. My father was Peter McKenna and my mother Bessie Campbell. I have four brothers and one sister. Peter, 62, lives in Newton; John, 61, lives in East Kilbride; Jimmy, 59, lives in East Kilbride as does my sister, Patricia, 49.
The family in Newton was that of my fathers brother Patrick. Peter was the undertaker, and his brothers were called John (now deceased) and Jimmy. His sisters are called Agnes (Phillips), Maud, Winnie.
I remember a McKenna family who lived in the Circuit as it was known. There were twins in my class, Jean and I think it was Patricia. If I remember rightly they had a brother called Joe. Any connection?
Many thanks again for your mail.
Kathleen McDonald
PS Peter McKenna the undertaker did not have a brother called Frank, althoug our mutual grandfather did!

Re: Re: Re: McKenna family

The mc kenna family lived in Grahams Square Halfway their son was called leslie the mother was called rose and they ownded a bookies shop in silverbanks.When the square was demolished they moved to cathkin.

Your location blantyre