Return to Website

Old Cambuslang

Old Cambuslang Snippits and Personal Contact messages

Old Cambuslang
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pretoria Street

Anyone know where this street was? My father was born there in 1915, but I understand that the street hasn't existed for many years.

Re: Pretoria Street

I was born in Cambuslang in 1944 and got to know the area well, but I never heard of this street. Sounds as if it was named in the 1800s after the Boer war in South Africa. Perhaps it was a miner row in the Newton area?

Re: Re: Pretoria Street

I have a recollection of being told that it was around where the Hoover factory was, but that may well just be the memory playing tricks!

Re: Re: Re: Pretoria Street

John,
Pretoria Street was at the southern end of Silverbanks Street, and ran parallel to Glasgow Road. It had only two closes - one on either side of and round the corner from Silverbanks Street. Pretoria Street looked out onto the old quarry and across to Dukes Road, and in the other direction, about 100 yards away, down Silverbanks Street across Glasgow Road and through the railway yard and over the railway line was the Hoover factory.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pretoria Street

Bill,

I've e-mailed you re this - it would certainly tie in with what I remember my Dad telling me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pretoria Street

I just noticed that it can be located in one of my pics at ... http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslang/50%20to%2052%20Glasgow%20Rd.jpg

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pretoria Street

More or less where I thought. Thanks Ed.