Return to Website

Old Cambuslang

Old Cambuslang Snippits and Personal Contact messages

Old Cambuslang
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dechmont Hill

Just for interest, during the bombing by the lufwaffe of clydeside, a german bomber dropped two bombs on dechmont hill, just at the back of the targets area. We went to the site the following morning to recover bits of shrapnel until being discovered and chased by the polis and ARP.

My memory of street names is fading, but is or was Old Kirk Road the road alongside Twaddles Farm that led to the Public Park? It branched off before the entrance to the park on its way to the cathkin braes.

The co-op gala was always held in the park and all the weans had their tinnies suspended by a cord around their necks. The tinnies were filled with ginger and cookies were distributed by the Co-op.

Just memories........ Jim.

Your location Burlington Ontario Canada

Re: Dechmont Hill

Jim

You're right about the Street names.

Can you remember the huts to the right of the hill, which I believe were the barracks for the anti-aircaft soldiers?

Re: Re: Dechmont Hill

Ed..when you say..to the right of the hill..it would depend where you are looking.. The barracks were to the blantyre side and they housed different groups at different times. they had an entrance on the road to stoney meadow.Our house on Castle Chimmins was chosen for Polish officers to be billeted for a short time. I remember the last contingent was the Royal marines that occupied the barracks just proir to D-Day.

Jim

Just a quickie.. where was Gilbertfield road?

Jim

Re: Re: Re: Dechmont Hill

Select cut and paste

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=265718&y=659168&z=1&sv=gilbertfield+road&st=6&tl=Gilbertfield+Road,+Cambuslang,+Glasgow,+G_72&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

Jim
I tried to email you but it was bounced back

Ed

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dechmont Hill

Ed..yours of 24th. Sorry to report that once again your ref was not found..."No web site" says my screen.
Thanks anyway for trying.. I'm beginning to believe that Gilbertfield Road starts from near the old dalton school as its southern end and continues north passing Castle Chimmins Road, the Twaddles farm, gilbertfield castle, to end at the main gate of the public park. At that point Auld kirk road takes over to Kirkhill. I arrived at this conclusion after vewing the text on the dinosaurs!

Jim

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dechmont Hill

Hello Jim
Your comments re Gilberfield Road correct until where it joins Cairns Road (not Auld Kirk Rd) at the junction of East Greenlees Rd.
Auld Kirk Rd runs between and parallel with both Gilbertfield Rd and Woodland Crescent.
Also, my mother, Mary Jordan, lived in Hutchinson Place before her marriage in 1935. Her parents left there in 1937 when they emigrated to Qld, Aust. My grandfather had been an elder in the Flemington church for some years prior to that.

Regards
Bill

Your location Hervey Bay Qld Aust

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dechmont Hill

Bill.. Hello.. I've asked Tam Morris to send you a small map which shows Gilbertfield Rd ,Cairns Rd.,Auld Kirk Rd etc.

I'm sorry,I didn't know your mother, I delivered milk when I was a wee laddie to someone in Hutchesins place, it was a small can of cream. The house was pretty close to the back door of the church and Mary MacKie stayed directly opposite.

Tam...I hope you're reading this

Jim

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dechmont Hill

ye ken Jim, when we start tae get almost as auld as yoo ur some o'us look back (jist like ah did) an determint ah've been a peopul pleesur maist o' ma life an frae heer oan ah've decydit

"ah'm no gonnae no dae that nae mair"

So Jim tae answer yer QUESTION OR DIRECTIVE

"Tam I hope you're reading this"

NAW Jim! ah'm sorry but ah'm no readin' that, an furthur mair ah've nae intenshuns o' readin' it onytime in the neer footchur neether.

Tam

Your location Essex Junction, Vermont, USA

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dechmont Hill

Hello Bill,

I reviewed a map used by Royal Mail and produced by multimap.com Auld Kirk Road is part of the Orlits Scheme and has approx. 8 houses which start from The Glen to roughly 50yds past the farm road that would also take you to the ruins at Gilbertfield Castle.

The houses end at Chocolate Lane appropriately named because if you didn't want sh...(aka keech) on yer shoes it was best to hop-scotch from one end of the lane to the other.
The house addresses for Gilbertfield Rd ran from the Glen in the other direction toward CastleChimmins Rd.

The houses on Auld Kirk Road were only on one side toward Craigallian so originally there was a picky bramblie hedge and a piece o' land wi' scuzzies (assortment of weeds)between Gilbertfield Rd (aka The Back Road)and Auld Kirk Road, from the map it appears that the hedge and skuzzies are removed and the part of the old road running parallel now becomes part of the wider Auld Kirk Road.

The original Back Road running from the Glen to the Public Park has no houses so the remainder which runs from Chocolate Lane to the park could be called whatever....

Hope this helps confuse even more....LOL

Tam

Your location Essex Junction, Vermont USA

JIm,
Reading with great interest your comments. Just wondered if you remember my grandfather James Fleming, who lived at 9 Glen Street, Halfway. He worked in a papermill, and was a volunteer fireman during the war... I always remember him telling me about Hitler bombing Dechmont Hill and having to go and help put out the fire...
Thanks
Catherine Fleming.

Your location East Kilbride

Catherine...I was born in glen st the coal yard you refer to belonged to my Grandfather..Jimmy Thomson..I remember the family name of Finnie who lived across the street from the yard..I was brought up on Castle Chimmins Ave..Plse contact me for a chat abt that area if necessary...

Jim

Your location canada

Hi JIm,
The Finnie family lived next door to my grandfather, there were only two houses on Glen Street and my grandfather stayed at No9. The houses were next to the ebeneezer hall. My grandfather was James Fleming, his second wife Mary. MY father was james and his brother was Alexander (Sandy). Unfortunately they both passed away a long time ago. My grandfather was a regular at Flemington Parish Church. His first wife was Isabella Brown who died in 1934 following the birth of twins at the age of 27. MY father was the surviving twin. MY grandfather remarried in 1944 or thereabouts. Isabella Brown's family originally came from Castlechimmins road.

Your location Uddingston Glasgow

"The houses were next to the ebeneezer hall"

Catherine there was an ebeneezer hall on Overton St. which was on the other side of Hamilton Rd. it lined up with Glen St.
Macginley's chip shop was on the corner and the ebeneezer was about 100-200ft on the right side.

Heading up Glen St. on the right just after the Co-op building there were 2 story tenements with 2 access closes, on the left corner there was Gilbertfield Co-op grocery store with it's front on Hamilton Rd.next on Glen St. was a pen opening for rear door deliveries and next to that there was the Co-op offices where you could retrieve the cash value of your dividends,up above over the offices was the Gilbertfield Cooperative Hall which had a great dance floor.
In the 50's there were 2 Fleming families I knew of one lived on Lightburn Rd. and the other in Cooper's Building, were they your kin?
Also I knew a George Brown born around '36 lived at the top of Castlechimmins Rd.was he your kin?

Your location USA

Hi,
My gran and granda stayed at number 9 Glen Street, there was only two houses on the street and they were next to the hall co-op hall where the dances were held. My aunt Kate lived with them, she was an invalid due to arthritis and was in a wheelchair. MY granda worked in the papermill in cambuslang. he was a regular at Flemington Parish Church.

Your location Scotland

hi Jim gilbertfield road is the back road round the corner from castle chimmins road.... i used to swing on the tyne and rope up in the old canyon where the bomb come down.

Your location england

Ah yes, now I remember an escapade to do with Dechmont hill, I was with either William Lyons from Borgie Crescent, two doors along from William Montgomery, another friend, but not so adventurous, the other guy with me I am sure was Wullie Macintyre from Kirkhill. Yes it must have been Willy Mac; he was one of the only guys who would go along with my crazy antics, I am still quite surprised that we actually got into our teens.

We were approaching Dechmont hill from the South side and to be perfectly honest we had never ventured there before. A lovely dry day and I suggest the early autumn, long dry grass as I remember. As we looked down towards the southern area that was the first time that we actually saw the firing ranges. Immediately below us were the large square white boards with the numbers on. Farther down much smaller dark coloured board targets; we were not bothered with any of that it was all good fun. From Wullie” we will be OK. They will fire at the wee boards, we can sit up here and watch, we can even hide behind the number boards. That was a great plan, well it was until we got closer to the boards and then we saw the bullet holes where the ricochet bullets had peppered them in the past. The last time that I ran so fast in a southerly direction was when P.C. ‘Wee Bing’ was bearing down on me for something or other. I don’t remember the Luftwaffe giving me a hard time there, although my Mummy was a German? (Francis Hahn)

Your location Goa India

jim young who lived in 31 castlechimmins ave in the 50-60 I used to get plants of him. there was the man and his son they had king Charles dogs .. can anyone remember them
and it was good the dancing in the old coop hall my best friend at school lived in glen street jean hair was her name

Your location england

Gilbertfield Road ran from Robbs Farm at the Dalton to the Road up to Twaddles Farm then Cairns Rd started and ran along past the Public Park to Kirkhill,Auld Kirk Rd was a Road made when the Orlits were built which ran alongside Gilbertfield from the Glen to Twaddles Road.as far as i can remember.

Ben.

Your location Stonehouse Lanarkshire

Jim
Some photos of that road

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslang/BackRd.jpg
http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslang/Plantation.jpg
http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslang/Video%20Clips/Image2.gif
The Piggery Brae
http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslang/Video%20Clips/Image3.jpg
See the 1933 movie here....
http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslang/Video%20Clips/Page.html