Return to Website

Old Cambuslang

Old Cambuslang Snippits and Personal Contact messages

Old Cambuslang
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Biggins Twins

Hi, does anyone have any photos, school or otherwise of the Biggins Twins Phil and Eddie who lived in Caledonian Circuit and attended St Brides School.
They were born in 1937 and went on to sing as the Starlight Twins.
Any info or pics would be good as Eddie was my dad (deceased) and of course Phil my uncle (deceased) and I have no pics apart from the one taken at Phil's Wedding.
Kind regards Steve (Perth Australia)

Your location Australia

Re: Biggins Twins

Yes I remember with fond memories the one with the profound lisp, he used to come and say the rosary in my parents house, # 4 Somervell Street Cambuslang. Sadly those days are gone, no one does that any more. I joined The SVDP on coming back to the UK 2007 and realy enjoyed the commitment and opportunities to help and guide those in need which I did and fully gained some inner self respeck for myself and my family. Unfortunately it was my time to leave SVDP
and I respect the wishes of the the ones who elected to stay under the direction of the parish priest, and not the direction of the Diocien of Motherwell. The founders of St Vincent De Paul, St vincent himself is
forever gratefull. And I personally wish all of you.The very best.
As Jack Higgins the author says, May God Go Bless All Who Are here.
Davie.

Your location G72 7Hg

Steve
Were they related to Philip Biggins who married Helen Colvin, a teacher at St Brides in the 1950s?

http://familynotices.heraldscotland.com/details.cgi?eid=7c8b2908ad8ab85fz3r

Hello, Steve: I knew your dad, Eddie Biggins, and his brother Phil. They were both in my class at St. Bride's School, Cambuslang. I have often wondered about them because they were such nice boys! I remember their bright red hair and freckles. I am saddened to hear that both have passed away. I went on to Elmwood in Bothwell, and later was a nurse at the Victoria Infirmary in Glasgow. I have lived in San Diego, California for many years now and have a large family out here. I see that you live in Perth, Australia. How far around the globe we all travelled!! Many best wishes to you and the Biggins family. Clare Connelly McGrath x x x

Your location California

Hi Stephen,
I dont believe we have met but i,am your cousin.My Dad was Lewis Mckenzie,your Dads brother.
I actually just googled your name for some reason,then Philip Biggins and it came up with this link.
I hope this message finds you in good spirits Stephen.Unfortunately i cant help you at present with photos of your Dad due to my circumstances.
Please get in touch Stephen it would be nice to hear from you.

Kind regards
Ryan

Your location Glasgow

Hi Steve,
I am actually your cousin,our Dads were brothers.
I dont recall ever meeting you,though i have met your sisters.
Hope your keeping well Steve and life in Austrailia is good.
Theres a website by a guy called Eddie Boyle on Old Cambuslang which has lots of old pics that might contain your Dad in it.I managed to get one of my Dad.
Please get in touch,would be good to hear from you.

Ryan Mckenzie

Your location Glasgow

Hi Ryan,

You can contact me on the above email address.

Cheers

Your cuz Steve

Your location Australia

i came from parks street cambuslang there was a small general store there and the biggins twins visited there regular , i think it was there auntie her name was ann goldie .

cheers tommy mc sorley

Your location nsw australia

Hi Tommy,

Yes my Dad Eddie and his twin Phil were born in Park Street also. And yes their Aunt was Ann Goldie.

Great to hear from you Tommy. I have been trying to find a picture of the twins from St Bride's School in Cambuslang. I have searched all the school pictures on edwardboyle.com but I have found nothing. I have found my mother's pic, Agnes Drainey, and my aunt's picture big Annie McBride (who married Phil), but nothing of my Dad and his twin brother.

Maybe you know of someone who may have a picture.

Kindest regards from Australia Tommy, God bless x

Steve Biggins

Your location Perth Western Australia

Hi Clare,

Sorry I took a couple of years to reply lol. Great to hear from you. I just heard from a Tommy McSorley, 7 years after my original post, AMAZING to think my question is still out there in cyberspace.

I hope you are well and wondered if you have any of your old school photographs. I was unable to find them on the best Cambuslang site, http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/Cambuslang/Cambuslang.html

I am living in Perth, Western Australia, and I have managed already to find a picture of my Mother, Agnes Drainey, and my Aunt Annie McBride, who married my Dad's brother Philip.

Annie McBride was the sister of Patrick (Paddy McBride) who drove a fruit van around Cambuslang.

Hope to hear from you

Kindest Regards

Steve Biggins x

Steve, have look at this photo. 5th along, top row.

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/Cambuslang/St%20%20Brides%20School%20Collection.htm

Thanks for that ED, but the link only opens to the main page of Group Photos. What year is the photo taken?

Kind regards and thanks for continuing to help me find a pic of my father.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Steve x

The photo is a thumbnail located in the main table of photos on that page. It will open up to show

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/Cambuslang/StBridesSchool.JPG

and the decription...

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/Cambuslang/willie_corrigan_subsequently_mar.htm

Hi Ed

Thank you so much. Finally I have what I've been searching for years. I can see the resemblance of Phil especially wearing his glasses. I notice that my Dad, Eddie, is not wearing his but I know it's him. They're both dressed the same lol, typical of twins and that continued for many years into their adult life.

You bring back such memories Ed with your site, it's a wonderful thing.

Once again Thank you, take care and God Bless xxx

Steve Biggins

Other Biggins name links

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/Cambuslang/St%20Brides%201956-57.htm
http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/Cambuslang/miss_helen_colvin.htm

Thanks Ed

Kindest regards

Steve

I came across this and I knew your dad and uncle they lived in the circuit my uncle had the wee shop on Westburn road it was called Walsh's. I ran about with the twins step sister Myra McKenzie when I was 16 I was always in there house I moved away and never seen Myra again but I met up with her in 2008 at a school reunion in cambuslang gateside school and I stayed friends with her till she died . I remember her mum which would be your dad's mother I have a picture with Myra and Phil Biggins in it and a young girl Angela magowan and Phil is holding a baby . If you want the picture I will send you it it was taken in 1961 Myra was crazy for her twin brothers lovely men best regards Margie Thomson

Your location East kilbride

I came across this and I knew your dad and uncle they lived in the circuit my uncle had the wee shop on Westburn road it was called Walsh's. I ran about with the twins step sister Myra McKenzie when I was 16 I was always in there house I moved away and never seen Myra again but I met up with her in 2008 at a school reunion in cambuslang gateside school and I stayed friends with her till she died . I remember her mum which would be your dad's mother I have a picture with Myra and Phil Biggins in it and a young girl Angela magowan and Phil is holding a baby . If you want the picture I will send you it it was taken in 1961 Myra was crazy for her twin brothers lovely men best regards Margie Thomson

Your location East kilbride

I see you posted a note about the Biggins family on my website forum page. I am not sure that anyone now reads the forum. Perhaps best if you copy your message to the email address shown, or I could relay your message to the Auld Cmbuslang facebook group?

Ed

Your location Kilmarnock