Return to Website

Edaville Railroad Discussion Forum

Welcome to the Edaville USA Discussion Forum. This forum is open to anyone who wants to post a message, but the following rules apply: 1. All materials must be Edaville-related, whether current or historical; 2. Postings must be positive and upbeat and; 3. No personal attacks will be tolerated. The moderator reserves the right to delete postings and to ban people from using the discussion forum. Any blatant misuse of this discussion forum may result in this forum become a password-protected discussion group, which would require participants to be approved before posting mesages. PLEASE DO NOT MISUSE THIS DISCUSSION GROUP!

Edaville Railroad Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coach 26 question

I have a question about ex-Edaville #26 (now WW&F Coach 8).

Reinhard's Edaville car page mentions on #26 that "2002 Fold-over seats and partition removed, converted to outside benches at Edaville."

What happened to the fold-over seats? And what kind of seats did it have?

What is the partition mentioned? The coach already has a middle partition with a passageway through it.

Repairs have already started on the coach. A few exterior pieces of siding have been replaced, and one of the more tender windows were removed and the window was boarded up.

Re: Coach 26 question

Sorry for spreading some wrong information on my website; I am not sure why I thought that the partition was removed. I just looked at an exterior photo from 2003 and the partition is still visible there.
The seats were of the same style as the other Edaville (Maine) cars: the cast iron frame with the green upholstery. Somewhere I have an interior shot of it and I will send you a scan when I find it.
Maybe someone else knows what happened to the seats; I will ask the next time I get to Edaville.

Re: Re: Coach 26 question

I have some photos of 26 interior which I will be able to send you. From what I can tell, there were single seats on one side of the partition, while the other had a covered bench seat.

I'll try to get you the photos over the weekend

Re: Coach 26 question

Hi James -

I sent four photos of coach 26's interior to the "webmaster@wwfry.org" e-mail address.

I hope you find them helpful.

Savery

Re: Re: Coach 26 question

Savory,

Thanks very much for the photos.

Half the car was bench seating, the other half was regular seats. Interesting.

Thanks,

James

Re: Re: Re: Coach 26 question

Well, there are two possible explanations:

1. Since coach 26 was built by the Edaville shops in 1985, they might have designed it around the number of "extra" fold-over seats they had at the time, placing the partition where it was to separate single seats and benches, or

2. The coach may have been built with a full complement of fold-over seats in 1985, but some of those seats might have been lost when vandals torched the car in 1986. The car had to be completely rebuilt, and the bench seats and partition might have been added then.

Can anyone answer the question?

- s -

Re: Re: Re: Re: Coach 26 question

Hi S!

If #26 is the car that was originally built by Jimmy Dunlop when he was at Edaville, I vividly remember when that car was finished. It was a really exciting event at the time, because Jimmy is such an outstanding craftsman. The thing is I don't remember an interior partition and this would lead me to believe that I may be thinking of a different car also built at Edaville, but a few years earlier.

At any rate, if I am thinking of the same car, it was built with full-length bench seats and utilized the original red velvet seat cushions from the Flying Yankee.

The only full coach at Edaville that I can recall as having an interior partition was the old P&R combine (SR&RL #15), built by Billmeyer & Small. Edaville refinished the original baggage end when they turned the car into a full coach. It was easy to tell which end was original, because the woodwork in the original passenger compartment was considerably more refined than that in the refinished baggage end. It's probably still the same way today.

I hope this is of some help.

Best Regards,
Glenn