WHAT?! Don't have a copy of Pacific Ocean Blue - Legacy Edition yet?
Buy it HERE from Amazon, and support Dennis Wilson Dreamer.org in the process!

Convert your friends!
Buy a copy of Pacific Ocean Blue for your best buds
and introduce them to the greatest record of the 20th AND 21st centuries!
They'll thank you "FOREVER"!
Return to Website

The BLUE BAMBU ROOM

Welcome to the Blue Bambu Room, a lounge where you can kick back, listen to the waves, have a cold one, and talk about Dennis, his music, his life, his brothers, his band. TO RETURN TO DENNIS WILSON DREAMER .ORG, CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO THE LEFT.

NOTE: On June 18th, 2008, Sony BMG/ Legacy Recordings released the long awaited reissue of Dennis Wilson's masterwork, the acclaimed 1977 solo album Pacific Ocean Blue. Aside from a brief CD release in 1992, this is the first time this album has been widely available to the public since it's first appearance. Included in this release is a second disc packed with previously unreleased material from sessions leading up to a second solo album, tentatively titled BAMBU.

So, have you heard the new release? What do you think? What surprised you? Do you have questions? Reviews? Opinions? - they are all welcome here.

The BLUE BAMBU ROOM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stan Love

I noticed he was on Facebook the other day.

Wonder if he ever feels guilty about giving Dennis a good kicking with that horrible poseur Rocky Pamplin?

I find it very difficult to like any of the Love faction, even after the reunion. Am I alone or do others feel this way??

The Loves

I have mixed feelings about this.

It appears that a great number of diehard Beach Boy fans who love and admire Brian, Carl and (especially) Dennis Wilson have, over the years, come to despise Mike Love.

Any Beach Boys fan knows that Mike Love has certainly done some rather stupid, egotistical and thoughtless things throughout his life. Yet I have often defended Mike Love on several ocassions.

The lawsuits, for example. In some instances (but certainly not all), such as the case where Mike sued the distributors of Brian Wilson's 2004 "Smile" oveseas, he had every right (you may recall the unauthorized release of a Beach Boys greatest hits compilation that was packaged with the release to help spur sales).

On the flip side (pun intended), no one will ever convince me Mike had a hand in writing "Wouldn't It Be Nice." That is rubbish, and an insult to Brian and Tony Asher.

Then there are the infamous battles with Dennis. It's interesting that the general consensus is that Mike and Dennis despised each other. That could not be farther from the truth. I truly believe that Mike loved his cousin (and vice versa), yet despised the drug and alcohol use that made it very difficult to rely on Dennis. That was the start of it all, in my opinion. Mike Love has a corporation to run (yes, folks, the Beach Boys are a corporation - they ceased being just a band decades ago).

I would also argue that the guy is is an incredible (though frugile) businessman; I really don't think there would even be Beach Boys today if it weren't for his business saavy.

Again, I'm not here as a cheerleader for Mike Love; I do feel however that at times he has been an unfair target.

Of course, opinions are like a certain body orifice. Everybody has one.

Patrick Stibbs
On the Spot Productions
onthespotradio.com

Re: The Loves

Nice reply Pat - but do you REALLY like Rocky Pamplin?

Is he even still alive?

Re: The Loves

Yes, he is still among the living. In fact, I give him a bit more credit than Beach Boys history has.

It seems that Pamplin joined Marilyn Wilson and sister Diane Rovell's band American Spring for one year in 1977. Pamplin sang lead vocals on the unreleased track California Feelin', a song written by Brian Wilson and Steve Kalinich.

Pamplin also co-wrote the song It's Like Heaven with Brian Wilson and Diane Rovell for American Spring, but it would later appear on the Shaun Cassidy album Under Wraps.

And we all thought he was just a big dumb bodyguard!

Re: Stan Love

I completely agree Rob, particularly after Mike has now announced his tour without Brian, Al and Dave.

Re: Stan Love

Thanks! Glad to have an ally

Buy it for your Dad! Buy it for your son!
Hide your wives and daughters!
(Don't say we didn't warn ya!)