U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WWII-Burma-OSS

Good Afternoon,
I am trying to find any information about my grandfather and his service in the OSS during WWII. He passed away in 1958 and I only have bits and pieces.
The personnel records for the OSS were finally released, but his were located in St. Louis, MO and were burned in the fire there in 1973.

This is the information I have:
Donald Goldwyn Bassett
He served in Burma as a dog handler and paratrooper in the OSS.
He enlisted in 1943.
His dog was named "Judge" and delivered coded messages. Judge did return to the states with him.

I'm interested in finding out anything more about his experience. If there are any web sites or books that might help me in this search I would appreciate having that information.

Thank you for your time and help,
Leah

Re: WWII-Burma-OSS

Leah,

The "National Archives" will research your question for a small fee.

Get all you documents together before you contact them.

Make certain you know what questions you want answered.

Try to make sure that you have a copy of his DD-214 (seperation papers).

Also there seems to be some myths about military records being destroyed in a fire in St. Louis.

Apparently there was a fire, but years later the goverment acknowledged that 16 million service records were found in a different warehouse.

"Lost in the Fire" has always been a convient answer for some who could not produce records to prove what they claim.

Let us know what you find out.

Semper Fi
Perry C. Money
"Missy" 7K37 Vietnam 1970